Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Modified Pioneer Woman's Chicken Pot Pie

I have a confession to make...I tend to cook way more food than I need to. I don't know if I'm over estimating how much people will eat or just unconsciosly worried about running out of food. Regardless, I always have food leftover when I cook for a group of people. Better too much than too little, though, right?

We ended up with way too much chicken after this last weekend. I can only eat it the same way 2 or 3 times before I get sick of it, though. So it generally gets turned into some type of casserole. Yesterday, I decided I was going to try out The Pioneer Woman's Chicken Pot Pie recipe. It did get a few tweaks as we just aren't that good at following recipes.

Started out sauteing some onions and celery.

Added in 2 cups (3 medium sized chicken thighs)

Some flour was mixed in, then some chicken stock, a splash of wine and some heavy cream.

Lined the bottom of a 9" pie pan with a pie crust and poured the mixture in. The Pioneer Woman only uses crust on the top, we like the crust ont he top and bottom.

Topped it with another pie crust and then did the unthinkable, unforgiveable...I stuck it in the oversized clock in the kitchen. I'm still getting over being sick and didn't want to go outside into the cold and risk relapsing. Cna you forgive me? I promise I'll do it on the Egg next time..

About 35 minutes later it was done

It came out really, really good! So good, we both went back for seconds! Creamy and savory with a buttery, flakey crust. Just the right hint of smoke from the chicken, not too much, not too little. Now, I just wish I had done it on the Egg. Next time I will for sure.

If you are interested in her recipe, you can google it, or you can go to my blog and see how we changed it up to suit our tastes.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Looks superb, Griefen! Gotta give this recipe a go. I'm like you, I always cook too much too.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Thanks, Grif. Looks great. Coincidentally, I've been hankering some pot pie this week too. Perfect timing; must be something about early January...

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Looks great Griff. Did the recipe call for dopping a piece of corn on your tablecloth, or was that a tweak too?  I will be giving this a go for sure.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Love pot pie - I always thought that individual pies had top and bottom crusts, easier to dump out. Large pot pies have only a top crust, like a shepherd's pie. On the to do list.....Thanks!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • "...the oversized clock.." :))  That made me laugh out loud.
    Looks good, Griffin!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

I don't eat Chicken Pot Pie. But yours looks like the best I have ever seen.

Now stuff that with fruit or make into a sheppards or stuff with pulled pork and call me to dinner my friend.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Thank you, SecretlyLovingNC. I guess its better to have too much than to have a riot on your hands when the food runs out.

@bodski - you might be onto something there about January and pot pies.

@Chubbs - that piece of corn attacked me and with my wicked fast reflexes and ungodly strength, I killed it and left it there as a warning for the rest of the corn.

@Skiddymarker - I have no clue. The only pot pies I got growing up came from the freezer in a single portion aluminum pan. They had nothing on this one.

@NecessaryIndulg - the most use ours gets is telling time and providing a flat surface to toss things on. Or keeping things warm. Or when Mrs. G cooks something. Other than that, it just takes up space.

Rowlett, Texas

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I noticed you have thyme in the filling. Add a little to the crust next time. It's an awesome combination.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    My oven is an extention of my counter space and a place to unload groceries next to the fridge.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited January 2013
    This is my oven, this is my egg

one is for cooking , one is for fun
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Chubbs said:
    My oven is an extention of my counter space and a place to unload groceries next to the fridge.

Ditto, or I throw my stuff on it when I get home from work.

Rowlett, Texas

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2013
    Looks great, chicken pot pie is too good to not eat a large amount of but the calories are crazy.
    Seattle, WA
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    That does look real good Griffin. Did you make your own pie crusts for that bad boy?
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.