Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Molded Gaskets on the Small

Bear 007
Bear 007 Posts: 382
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Molded High Temp Gaskets

I decided to do the gaskets on my small today.

I made them up in a mold with high temp silicone.
_DSC5610.jpg

_DSC5607.jpg

Then I just glued them on.
_DSC5611.jpg

_DSC5616.jpg

_DSC5618.jpg

I put a set on my tops also.
_DSC5631-Edit.jpg

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    LOL...you're on the right track...good job.
  • probie
    probie Posts: 102
    GREAT IDEA!!! What did you use to make the mold with??? I would like to make a set for all 3 of my cookers!!!
  • PFSmith
    PFSmith Posts: 34
    Those look great! How did you construct your mold? I really like the look and functionality of the hi-temp silicone gaskets. I've got to replace the gasket on my Mini this weekend. I have the Nomex gasket, but the silicone just looks like it would be a winner.

Pat
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Excellent job!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Bear 007
    This time I used a piece of PVC,it worked real well. On the large I used MDF it worked good but it left a little residue, burned off after the first cook.

_DSC5560.jpg
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Tim,
    Nice work on your silicone gaskets! Looks super. Let us know how they hold up. Do I see Corian used for the mold?
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Hey Tim, I also think you are doing a good job on making and using the high temp gasket maker on your base and dome of your BGE's.

I'm not saying using ultra copper is the best or only way to use your egg. Nor am I saying you need a gasket. I have used my large for more than a year without a gasket before this and the only trouble I was having was I feel my lump consumption was more.

As you may know I have done the same to one of my large BGE's. I found my base had a lot of imperfections so like you I used the ultra copper and applied a thick bead on my base then I laid on a caltronics gasket then I carefully set my dome on top. Doing so I believe I molded the base gasket to the contours of the two surfaces. Then I applied the ultra copper to the dome and put two layers of cellophane on the base and carefully set the dome on the cured base. While doing this I always made sure I turned the dome to the correct orientation of where I will sit on the base. I believe I have a very tight fit and when doing the dollar bill test proves it all the way around. So far so good and I feel my egg comes to temp faster and snuffs out faster. For the short time I have been using this gasket surfaces on my large I have noticed when I do a 400F direct cook for grilling my bottom vent is closed more then it used to be before the new gasket. Time will tell. To each is own. Tim :)

008-2.jpg
  • Bear 007
    I used a router with a homemade jig.

_DSC5565.jpg
  • Great idea and execution. Nice clean look too..I am also interested to see how they hold up over time..Keep us up to date & thanks for the real interesting post!!
  • Bear 007
    Its a piece of PVC, it released real well.Corian would work good to.
  • Bear 007
    I tried to do the top first, then the bottom, I closed the top and let set. After checking with the dollar bill test I did have one spot that wasn't sealed, I cut the bad area off the base and added more glue under it, this works real well.
  • mijoey
    mijoey Posts: 58
    Looks great. It would be nice if some company would start manufacturing them for some of us who are not adept at using routers and making our own molds.
    Mike
    Melbourne, Fl
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Tim, your molded gasket is sweet! :)
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,185
    This is awesome. I have been thinking about the one you put on your large, and was considering making a mold out of a plastic cutting board, but couldn't find one big enough for the large. Where did you get the PVC piece large enough? I guess when I think of PVC, only pipes come to mind.

Great work, I really like this.
  • Bear 007
    We had a couple of bathroom partitions left over from a recent job(they were never used). If you can get any scraps of Azek (the white plastic you use for exterior trim) sheet goods that would probably work to. On the one I did for the large I just used MDF (medium density fiberboard) you can get it at Lowes, its cheap.
  • Mudflap
    Mudflap Posts: 69
    Great work!  I'd love to do that for my large.  Just need to find someone with better skills than me.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    I'll take one! Great job.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Hey Bear, that looks great!  I followed your lead and made new gaskets for my large and medium.  They're the best gasket I've tried!  Thanks for the creative idea!

fc
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    @Bear007 Thanks! This is what I'm going to try and do, if and when my nomex gives up, is there a prep you put in the mold before running the gasket in, to help with removing it? How long did it last or is it still going strong! What depth did you route to?
  • Bear 007
    I do use a form release just because I have it, I really don't think its necessary, just make sure you give it at least 3 days to set, I try to keep them around 1/8" strong. My large is do for a new one, its been 8 months or so and my pizza cooks have taken there toll. The thing I really like about them is the fact that after the mold is made its so easy to make new ones, just use a razor blade to cut it off and glue on a new one.
  • @Bear007 thanks for the great idea. seriously genius.  any chance i can pay you (generously) for some time and materials and for 2 large gaskets sent to me? just enough room in my teeny tiny back patio in south philadelphia to fit the egg and 2 chairs. just no space to try and build a mold.

want to try pizzas again - destroyed my nomex on the first try so i've been low and slow since then trying to find a better solution.

pizzas in the 500° oven just are not the same.at all. and it's making me sad!
  • Oh awesome thanks! yours looks real good. still in good shape?

guess i should get started on cleaning off the old!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    It's still like the day it went on, except for being a little dirty.