Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BACON!!!

After seeing a couple of posts on here about making your own bacon, I decided to give it a shot.  Did two types, Maple Bourbon and '3' Pepper Bacon, and they turned out fantastic.  I'll never buy bacon again, especially with how cheap and easy this is.  Little pic heavy but enjoy!

Maple Bourbon Resting

Maple Bourbon Cooked, excuse the wife's finger

3 Pepper and Maple Bourbon just hanging out.

3 Pepper sliced and ready for cooking

3 Pepper cooked and then quickly eaten.

This was easy so my next attempt will be at apple cinnamon.  Thanks for looking

Comments

• recipe?
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • nicely done! I have 5 slabs going on for an overnight coldsmoke after my wings for apps......and after my korean BBQ for dinner. Busy day for the egg
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jbenny
    jbenny Posts: 147
    Here is for the Maple Bourbon:http://www.creative-culinary.com/2011/05/maple-bourbon-bacon-charcutepalooza-meets-pennypalooza/

For the 3 Pepper, I used serrano pepper, black pepper and jalapeno:

4 tablespoons kosher salt
    5 tsp white sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons pink salt
    4 Fresh Jalapeno and 2 Serrano thrown into the blender
    4 garlic cloves, sliced or crushed (or garlic powder)
    1 tablespoon black coarse black pepper 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Cen-tex- do you only cold smoke or have you also done the 200 cook? Which is better? Reason i ask is thing about amazing smoker.... Thanks guys
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack said:
    Cen-tex- do you only cold smoke or have you also done the 200 cook? Which is better? Reason i ask is thing about amazing smoker.... Thanks guys

I did the hot smoke twice and didn't like the texture. I then looked for a way to try cold smoke to see if it was better so I figured for $40 the AMS was worth a try. I'll never hot smoke again. The AMS is perfect but I live in TX so I probably won't be able to cold smoke after Feb. The texture of cold smoke is exactly like you get in the store. Raw bacon, but it's totally smoked and cured.
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    $40 the AMS was worth a try. I'll never hot smoke again.

Agree......what a difference..
  • Sorry....what is an AMS?
    XL BGE
  • AMS= A-Maze-N-Smoker
  • jbenny
    jbenny Posts: 147
    I didn't really notice a difference in texture between this and store bought bacon.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    So pardon my ignorance but once it comes off the cold smoke you still have to cook it right?  Could you food savor it and freeze it?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    r270ba said:
    So pardon my ignorance but once it comes off the cold smoke you still have to cook it right?  Could you food savor it and freeze it?
    Yep. Exactly what you do.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • r270ba
    And can you put the AMS in the BGE? :)
    Anderson, SC

• yep- you just cook it like normal bacon in a pan or oven. You can food save and freeze if you want
  • Chubbs
    r270ba said:
    Yep. I had a thread earlier "all this talk about bacon...". Pull it up. Learned a lot from some of the veterans.
  • r270ba
    Thanks Chubbs!
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba said:

yes. I put it directly on the grate of my cleaned out egg. It's a small enough rectangle to easily fit in your firebox. Some people don't even clean out the egg, but I do because I go overnight and don't want and airflow issues.
  • r270ba
    Awesome...yet another cooking tool this forum has made me buy :)).  I love learning new things!  @chubbs how did your first go at it turn out?
    Anderson, SC

• Chubbs
    r270ba said:
    Awesome...yet another cooking tool this forum has made me buy :)).  I love learning new things!  @chubbs how did your first go at it turn out?

Haven't started. Got the salt in. Ordered the AMS today. Will be here in a few days. Priced bellys for $2.99 a lb in Columbia. Going to start the cure this week hopefully.
  • r270ba
    edited January 2013
    Did you order AMS direct? Can you explain the cure process a bit? I didn't see it in you original post.
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba said:

This one is only $40. You are welcome. I've never had anyone suggest anything to me under $200 on here
  • Chubbs
    r270ba said:

Did you order AMS direct? Can you explain the cure process a bit? I didn't see it in you original post.

Grab the book charcuterie. Wife got it for me for Christmas after great reviews from forum. It gives lots of recipes for different types of cures. If you don't want to buy the book, I can scan and email you a few recipes.
  • r270ba
    Just bought it...thanks!
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba said:
    Just bought it...thanks!
    You are well on your way. That book gets weirder and weirder the deeper you go. I have some stuff on my list that was not even on my radar a few months ago. I'm in deep.

• Chubbs
    r270ba said:
    Just bought it...thanks!
    You are well on your way. That book gets weirder and weirder the deeper you go. I have some stuff on my list that was not even on my radar a few months ago. I'm in deep.

I hear you CT. I am starting small with bacon, but can see myself getting in deep too
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Can somebody please post a link for the best AMS option for cold smoking bacon?  I see that people mention a $40 price range, but I would hate to order the wrong unit.  

I have a large . . thanks!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG said:
    Can somebody please post a link for the best AMS option for cold smoking bacon?  I see that people mention a $40 price range, but I would hate to order the wrong unit.  

I have a large . . thanks!

here is the one I bought. I like it because it has the longest smoke time. It also works with pellets and sawdust. I buy Traeger pellets from my egg dealer and I get 14 hrs of smoke from one load. Great tool for $40 http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8
  • NDG
    u da man.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    just ordered package #3 . . now I gotta get the book "Charcuterie" and read up before my unit arrives.  I am excited about this because I hope to master bacon and use my Food Saver to take care of some upcoming birthday gifts.  Homemade bacon . . . yes please!
    Columbus, OH

• i you have an ipad, it's available on iBooks. that's the way I got mine
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited January 2013
    When you talk about the texture of cold smoke bacon being better than hot smoke, what do you mean? The texture of the uncooked bacon, or the texture of the fried bacon?. I purchased some house smoked bacon from a butcher shop. We talked home curing. They refer to the Charcuterie book but have there own recipes. They hot smoke with hickory. It tasted much better than store bought, some in sold there, but I don't understand the texture difference you all speak about. The butcher shop bacon was $12/#. It was good, but for that price, I'm making my own for sure.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009