Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig

I just ordered some dizzy pig swamp venom and jamacian firewalk. Anyone else use these?

Comments

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Haven't tried those two but do yourself a favor and try the Raising the Steaks, Raging River and the Tsunami Spin.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Did swamp venom on bb ribs this weekend. Just enough bite. I liked it. The wife asked if I did anything different....forgive me, I lied. She loved them but doesn't like hot. What you don't know.....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • use them all the time. Both have a serious kick. use sparingly if you don't like heat. Delicious though. I use swamp on breakfast potatoes too. It's good on lots of stuff
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Plano_JJ said:
    Haven't tried those two but do yourself a favor and try the Raising the Steaks, Raging River and the Tsunami Spin.
    I'm not a fan of raising the steaks.  Don't get me wrong, its good, just not as good as all the hype it gets on this board. I do, however, love red eye express. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• use them all the time. Both have a serious kick. use sparingly if you don't like heat.
    I like heat, but it turns out that I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to it.  How hot are these two (SW and JFW)?  Jalapeno hot or habanero hot?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I think you made a smart decision, OP.
  • tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    Really enjoy swamp venom on pork. I like both DP steak rubs.
  • I like the Swamp Venom, the Jamaican Firewalk was just ok. If you haven't tried any of their other rubs do yourself a favor and buy the $10 sampler. I got one as a stocking stuffer and found a few that we love. Raging River on Salmon, Tsunami Spin on wings, Shakin' the Tree on chicken, Raising the Steaks is great on filet and NY Strip and even on brisket. The wife and I tried the Pineapple Head sample on some pork chops tonight....excellent. 
    LBGE Knoxville, TN
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Use them both very good. Try Pineapple Head on grilled sweet potato.. Awesome !

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    shucker said:
    Plano_JJ said:
    I'm not a fan of raising the steaks.  Don't get me wrong, its good, just not as good as all the hype it gets on this board. I do, however, love red eye express. 
    +1 - Raising the Steaks is just "ok", not as good as regular ole Montreal Seasoning. I do like Tsunami Spin and Raging River.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I've tossed my Tony Cachere's and just use Swamp Venom in its place now for all kinds of cooks. Firewalk must have gotten pushed to the back of the spice rack as it hasn't seen mucn use lately. Need to move it to the front so it doesn't get ignored. Great on wings.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I like the Swamp Venom, the Jamaican Firewalk was just ok. If you haven't tried any of their other rubs do yourself a favor and buy the $10 sampler. I got one as a stocking stuffer and found a few that we love. Raging River on Salmon, Tsunami Spin on wings, Shakin' the Tree on chicken, Raising the Steaks is great on filet and NY Strip and even on brisket. The wife and I tried the Pineapple Head sample on some pork chops tonight....excellent. 
    Thanks for that tip. Just ordered a sampler pack plus the "ish" samples. Wish other rub makers offered sampler packs. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I like the Cow Lick rub, I use it on Briskets and a whole Beef Tenderloin I did at Thanksgiving.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I love the original, fine on poultry and coarse on red meat. I add cayenne or Indian white chili for kick

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    I love the firewalk on wings. Just picked up the swamp venom today. Can't wait to try it on wings this weekend. I have a number of their rubs and like them all.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • erblove
    erblove Posts: 97
    Swamp venom is nice...
    Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    caliking said:
    I like the Swamp Venom, the Jamaican Firewalk was just ok. If you haven't tried any of their other rubs do yourself a favor and buy the $10 sampler. I got one as a stocking stuffer and found a few that we love. Raging River on Salmon, Tsunami Spin on wings, Shakin' the Tree on chicken, Raising the Steaks is great on filet and NY Strip and even on brisket. The wife and I tried the Pineapple Head sample on some pork chops tonight....excellent. 
    Thanks for that tip. Just ordered a sampler pack plus the "ish" samples. Wish other rub makers offered sampler packs. 
    Oakridge BBQ (www.oakridgebbq.com) offers a sampler for $4.95, shipping included. FWIW, I really like their rubs.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Simply Marvelous also used to offer a sampler, but I cannot find it anymore now that they are partnered with Big Poppa Smokers.
  • caliking said:
    Oakridge BBQ http://www.oakridgebbq.com/ $5.00 for 5 sample rubs.  Good stuff!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    JRWhitee said:
    I like the Cow Lick rub, I use it on Briskets and a whole Beef Tenderloin I did at Thanksgiving.

+1 Cow Lick is good stuff.  I also use the Tsuami Spin and Raging River on chicken.

Garnerville, NY
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I use SV mixed w. DD for most of my ribs. SV has a nice cayenne zing. My wife finds anything hotter too hot.

Not me. Firewalk is the hottest of the DP rubs, and it is good. Not quite as fierce as Walkerwood's from Jamaica, but less bitter and and more citrusy. But if I want pure heat, I use the SV & DD mix, and finish with El Yucateco habanero sauce.

I'll defend my praise of Raisin' the Steaks. Ran out, so went to the local market, and got McCormick's Montreal Rub. Good, but not a replacement as far as i was concerned.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    I think this thread has convinced me to try more than just the dizzy dust.

Making a trip to ACE after work for something new.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731

Simply Marvelous also used to offer a sampler, but I cannot find it anymore now that they are partnered with Big Poppa Smokers.

The Simply Marvelous sampler was a collection of full size shakers about $70 dollars I think for a lot of rub. My sampler has lasted a while and there's not a bad one in the bunch. I do like something spicier though, so I sometimes add Slap Yo Mama red.

Oak Ridge BBQ has some great stuff too. Their habanero death dust is about the best thing there is for wings.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I really like the Pineapple head flavor. I usually put that on thick cut pork chops and its awesome.

I also used the Pineapple Head in combination with their Jalapeno rub on some BB ribs this summer. wasnt paying much attention to how much and exactly what i did at the time, but they were the best all year. still trying to chase that flavor again.
    Woodstock, GA
  • Reeyahps said:
    use them all the time. Both have a serious kick. use sparingly if you don't like heat.
    I like heat, but it turns out that I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to it.  How hot are these two (SW and JFW)?  Jalapeno hot or habanero hot?
    Depends on how much you use but I would say jalapeno. I'm sure it's from Cayenne but it will get ya if you put too much on....and I'm not a wuss when it comes to spicy food. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    I just ordered some dizzy pig swamp venom and jamacian firewalk. Anyone else use these?

where do u order them from???i see a lot of people use their spices!i'd like to give them a try!

^:)^