Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tom @ CGS is one of us

First off, let me say this, I am in no way affiliated with the CGS.

With that said, I just wanted to let all the newbies on this forum know that Tom at the ceramic grill store is one of us, not a salesman. This guy will spend some serious time on the phone with you to make sure that you are going to spend your money on the best set up for your cooking needs. He is caring, genuine and one hell of a cook as well. Again, I am not affiliated with the ceramic grill store, I am just a very VERY happy customer, from his advice all the way to customer service/warranty issues, he is a true class act.

--Jason

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Does he offer Mangrates? I kid I kid!

I have only heard GREAT things about CGS. I wish there was more available for the MBGE. I may have to get a L/XL just to be able to spend money with him!
  • Great reason to get another egg lol, go XL.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• LMAO @ mangrates

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You are correct. Tom is outstanding. If you can make a Texas Fest you should meet him. One of the good guys.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    You are correct. Tom is outstanding. If you can make a Texas Fest you should meet him. One of the good guys.
    I would love to get down there for one. I have family in San Antonio, but that is still a hike. I will put it on the short term bucket list.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I've met him in person a few times. Hell of a guy and a great line of products.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey said:
    I would love to get down there for one. I have family in San Antonio, but that is still a hike. I will put it on the short term bucket list.
    We are only 100 miles South on I-35. That is a day trip in Texas.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• @mickey

are you referring to salado?

• Mickey

@mickey

are you referring to salado?

Yes. Salado

• So I could get there in a little over an hour from downtown San Antonio?

• Mickey
    edited January 2013
    So I could get there in a little over an hour from downtown San Antonio?
    Hell Yes!  I-35 to just North of Buda and pick up 130 to just north of Georgetown. 130 lets you drive by law 85mph......Yep, 85 mph for half the 130 trip and 80 for the other half of the 130 toll road. Even bigger than the 85mph is that you miss Austin altogather.

• Yep- Take that toll road and you'll be there in no time. Just watch out for the 400 lb feral hogs. They leave quite a dent at 85 mph. If it were me, I would go 30 minutes west on I-10 out of SA and go through Lockhart for the famous TX BBQ run and head up from there. You'll still catch the toll road and if you are that close, no reason not to visit the legends of BBQ (Kreuz and Smitty's)

You might even be able to catch a ride with @Cazzy. he does not drink so he would be an excellent DD for the day :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Great, sounds good. The BBQ adventure starts at your house John! Then to the mediocre Franklin BBQ and so on.

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    The day after I got my pswoo3 from Tom, I decided to do my first pizza. Since I was a total newbie, I had a number of questions. It was a Friday night, so I fired off an email to Tom, not really expecting a reply until at least Monday, if at all. But I thought it was worth a shot. Sure enough, about 20 minutes later, he sent me a detailed response with some great tips. I took his suggestions and ended up with a great pizza on my first try. Since then, I've emailed him a couple of times more for some advice and he has always come through. First class guy with a real passion for what he does. 

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Eggcelsior
    edited January 2013
    Is Franklin's really mediocre? I have heard it's good but it seems like hipster paradise. If I am able to make it, I want to hit up some Texas beef places that are great beyond the tourist traps. Right now, I have been recommended to Salt Lick by my wife and FIL. 

EDIT: Unless your insinuation is that all brisket is mediocre next to CT's. If so, that flew over my head until 30 seconds after I posted the first time.
  • @bodski

Awesome brother! Great to hear!

• Great, sounds good. The BBQ adventure starts at your house John! Then to the mediocre Franklin BBQ and so on.
    Bring it. The austin bbq tour is actually better than Lockhart, Franklin's and J. Mueller have better food. They just aren't as famous (I guess Franklin is by now)

• Mickey
    Great, sounds good. The BBQ adventure starts at your house John! Then to the mediocre Franklin BBQ and so on.
    Oh crap. Do you know John? You understand John, Little Steven, VI and Travis will be seated in a seperate area (jury is still out on Cazzy).

• Cazzy's Wangs get him in alone...

Why does Aaron always look like he smells poop? Or am I the only one that thinks that?

• Is Franklin's really mediocre? I have heard it's good but it seems like hipster paradise. If I am able to make it, I want to hit up some Texas beef places that are great beyond the tourist traps. Right now, I have been recommended to Salt Lick by my wife and FIL. 

EDIT: Unless your insinuation is that all brisket is mediocre next to CT's. If so, that flew over my head until 30 seconds after I posted the first time.
    Franklin's is a hipsters paradise but you'll see all kinds there. it's just a PITA to eat there on a weekend. It is AWESOME though and I humbly accept total and utter defeat on brisket. J mueller's hired Franklin's pit boss and they taught Franklin everything anyway so it's really just as good and easier to navigate (assuming the weather is good- it's in a trailer)

Salt Lick is great....just not the brisket (it's OK, just not nearly on par with Franklin or J. Mueller). Awesome place though, a definite must visit. The original is BYOB and there is nowhere within 10 miles to buy so bring a cooler. The new location in Round Rock is nice too and it's full bar.

Go heavy on ribs and sausage at Salt Lick and you'll be happy

• Quite a few of us "older Eggheads" now have found ways to improve on the customers's Big Green Experience.   Tom (TVS) is another original Egger from the past only trying to add to the Egging experience of us all...and an overall good guy.  Some of the newer Egg owners here just need to realize there is a much bigger club then what you see on this message board here.

Ceramic Grill store makes some great products for your Big Green Egg.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited January 2013

Quite a few of us "older Eggheads" now have found ways to improve on the customers's Big Green Experience.   Tom (TVS) is another original Egger from the past only trying to add to the Egging experience of us all...and an overall good guy.  Some of the newer Egg owners here just need to realize there is a much bigger club then what you see on this message board here.

Ceramic Grill store makes some great products for your Big Green Egg.

Where do you put me in your list?

• Hello Jason,

I don't have a list, but if I did you would be at the top.

Happy Egging!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Is that the Hit list? :D

• Eggcelsior
    Is Franklin's really mediocre? I have heard it's good but it seems like hipster paradise. If I am able to make it, I want to hit up some Texas beef places that are great beyond the tourist traps. Right now, I have been recommended to Salt Lick by my wife and FIL. 

Franklin's is a hipsters paradise but you'll see all kinds there. it's just a PITA to eat there on a weekend. It is AWESOME though and I humbly accept total and utter defeat on brisket. J mueller's hired Franklin's pit boss and they taught Franklin everything anyway so it's really just as good and easier to navigate (assuming the weather is good- it's in a trailer)

Salt Lick is great....just not the brisket (it's OK, just not nearly on par with Franklin or J. Mueller). Awesome place though, a definite must visit. The original is BYOB and there is nowhere within 10 miles to buy so bring a cooler. The new location in Round Rock is nice too and it's full bar.

I knew that about Franklin's after reading up on Mueller's trials and tribulations on serious eats  I have also watched his public TV stuff online. I have seen pics of the line. So many scarves..... I didn't know it could get that cold in the spring down there. Everyone seems to have poor eyesight too.

In terms of Salt Lick, I was told to try the "Blue Plate Special" or something like that. I am sure that ANY brisket I get will be better that anything I get around here. Baltimore has Pit Beef, but brisket is lost in translation. The local BBQ joint is pretty good, but the brisket is atrocious. Lukewarm, flavorless, and rubbery. Good eats.

• Is Franklin's really mediocre? I have heard it's good but it seems like hipster paradise. If I am able to make it, I want to hit up some Texas beef places that are great beyond the tourist traps. Right now, I have been recommended to Salt Lick by my wife and FIL. 

I knew that about Franklin's after reading up on Mueller's trials and tribulations on serious eats  I have also watched his public TV stuff online. I have seen pics of the line. So many scarves..... I didn't know it could get that cold in the spring down there. Everyone seems to have poor eyesight too.

In terms of Salt Lick, I was told to try the "Blue Plate Special" or something like that. I am sure that ANY brisket I get will be better that anything I get around here. Baltimore has Pit Beef, but brisket is lost in translation. The local BBQ joint is pretty good, but the brisket is atrocious. Lukewarm, flavorless, and rubbery. Good eats.

Go Ray Ray, make it a memorable last year!

• Mickey said:
    Great, sounds good. The BBQ adventure starts at your house John! Then to the mediocre Franklin BBQ and so on.
    Oh crap. Do you know John? You understand John, Little Steven, VI and Travis will be seated in a seperate area (jury is still out on Cazzy).
    They are building "Silence of The Lamb's" type plexi-glass cook areas for each of us. "Just slide the brisket under the door"..................

Ha! You nailed it. It's awesome though.

You want to go Family Style at Salt Lick (that's what they are talking about). It's all you can eat, choose 3 meats. Go brisket, ribs, sausage, then refill with ribs and sausage when you are ready. It's like $30 per person and they let you take a to go box! It's a blast. Go to the original in Driftwood if you can. The Round Rock location is only 30 minutes from Salado though it's it's awesome too.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I'll give you a lift Jason!

Don't forget about Harmon's in Cibilo...some good queue there boss. I told @nolaegghead about it and he loved his visit!

@Mickey Why is the jury out? You think I'm missing this shiz?? Salado is still the only Fest I've been too. You always remember your 1st! :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mickey
    cazzy said:
      @Mickey Why is the jury out? You think I'm missing this shiz?? Salado is still the only Fest I've been too. You always remember your 1st! :P
    Sir you misunderstand. More to do with seating. The adults or childrens table.