Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Weekend with BGE for a Newbie

SeeingSpots
SeeingSpots Posts: 151
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum

I was excited about my first full weekend with the BGE.  The weekday cooks were good this week and a lot of fun, but I was itching to see what the BGE could do with some added prep and cook time.   So here goes.

We started things off Saturday night with ribeyes.  I went out to Ace Saturday morning looking for a grate of some sort that would rest on the firebox rim and allow me to sear the steaks as close to the fire as possible.  After 20 minutes of digging through all of the various grids and grates, I found a single cast iron round designed to fit the medium BGE.    So I go over to the large egg they have on display and drop it in.  Perfect!  It sits right on the firebox rim.  So I’m on my way. 

I seared the steaks for about 45 seconds per side directly on the firebox using the CI grid.  I tried the 90 degree rotate, but MAN it’s hot down in there, about 700, and I lost some accuracy on the flip.  You’ll see it in the pic.  Then I moved them up to roast, but not before losing some arm hair.  The first of many I’m sure, but even with the burp, that flash came fast and hot.  YOW!         

My steak was a little too medium for me, but the wife’s was just right, a nice medium rare.  

I picked up some baby backs while at the store and after our steak dinner, applied yellow mustard and my rub onto the ribs, folied and into the fridge.  I got started a little late Sunday, but had the egg primed and stabilized at 225 around 2pm.  Plate setter, legs up, drip pan filled with water and apple juice.  I put the three racks on, added soaked chips of apple and cherry, and didn’t see them again for 1.5 hours.  Lid up at 3:30, the ribs look great.  Spritz with some apple juice, drop in some more chips and lid down.

After having the lid open, the temp was taking longer than I wanted to get back to 225.   Under my breath, I mumbled something about a hair dryer.  The wife says “You can use Audrey’s toy hair dryer”.  So, our 6 yr old daughter has a toy, battery operated hair dryer that  actually blow a small steady stream of air.  I get it, change the batteries and I’m on my way.  Temp back up to 225 in no time.  Throughout the day I modified the Barbie Hair Dryer to fit better in the screen (pic included).

At 5pm, I foiled the ribs and put them back on for a couple more hours.  Fantastic!  The best ribs I’ve made, hand down.  It was so easy too, felt like I was cheating.

So glad to finally be an egger.  Thanks for all the tips on the forum!

Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE

Comments