Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Had to fire up the platesetter storage unit

Bless me Father for I have sinned.  It has been months since I last used the gasser (except for storing the platesetter when not in use).  Had the Egg all cleaned out and loaded up for tonight's pulled pork cook, when the family decided they wanted burgers for dinner.  Didn't want to deal with an overnight cook following a hot burger cook, so I fired up the gasser.  One more excuse for a second Egg.

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821

You didn't throw out your oven when you got a microwave did ya. My point being they both have their place. I'm probably catch an earful over this but gassers have their place too. Let's face it, I also have an offset smoker and to the purest your not truly smoking on an Egg since the heat is still directly below the meat even with a platesetter, your not cooking with only smoke . Don't get me wrong I love my Eggs and I'lll never be without one. I've had kamados for 30 years and nothing beats their versatility and flavor and I've made a lot of believers in them. The bottom line is your cooking outside over a fire, something very primal within all of us and we wouldn't be on this forum if it didn't touch us deeply. I'm into the tequila so please don't be too brutal with your responses. Maybe I should have just brought up politics or religion.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Well played, good sir.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Work the food, not the gear.  I'm not gonna fire up the egg to do a 60 second sear in a cast iron griddle.  That's ridiculous.  But people do it because they like to work certain gear.  All the power to them, but I don't like to do stuff the hard way unless there's some kind of better result.
    edited January 2013
    I could cook some good food on my gasser, still use my in-laws all the time. Just don't make a habit out of it. Only reason I don't have one now is because mine died and I used that as an esxuce for the SWMBO to buy the egg

Off topic but my dad is building a stupid huge outdoor kitchen, bar area tvs tables sinks hot tub. I was over last night going though plans with him and he's building in a gas grill and burners for cooking fish and stuff. I said "where you gonna put the egg??"
    Valid question, he doesn't have one but with this bill an egg would be less than tax. He said "I don't need no egg, I've got an oven inside its just a fancy oven"

BLASPHEMY!!!

XLBGE 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I could cook some good food on my gasser, still use my in-laws all the time. Just don't make a habit out of it. Only reason I don't have one now is because mine died and I used that as an esxuce for the SWMBO to buy the egg Off topic but my dad is building a stupid huge outdoor kitchen, bar area tvs tables sinks hot tub. I was over last night going though plans with him and he's building in a gas grill and burners for cooking fish and stuff. I said "where you gonna put the egg??" Valid question, he doesn't have one but with this bill an egg would be less than tax. He said "I don't need no egg, I've got an oven inside its just a fancy oven" BLASPHEMY!!!
    Unless your inheritance is significant, disown him!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Gassers are like kissin' your sister! Sorry, couldn't keep it in any longer. :P

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

"Welcome back son!  Propane is a clean burning fuel that makes your food taste like God meant it to be, I'll tell ya what.  I'm glad ya stopped with the hippie dippie charcoal!  That stuff just ain't right!" 

Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Using the gasser cuts down on the cigar/beer time.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821

"Welcome back son!  Propane is a clean burning fuel that makes your food taste like God meant it to be, I'll tell ya what.  I'm glad ya stopped with the hippie dippie charcoal!  That stuff just ain't right!" 

Not all gassers are propane. Mine is on natural gas.
    henapple said:
    Using the gasser cuts down on the cigar/beer time.
    Can't argue with that one.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I still have a gasser sitting on the patio.  Most of the time it's extra shelf space while I'm egging, but I still use it for beer hot tubbing some brats.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• I have a Weber Genesis that is 17 years old.  I use it for a quick burger or sausage cook.  Sometimes I just don't have time to fire up the Egg.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!