Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Egg, First Post

Just picked up a L BGE last week. Love to BBQ and smoke. I’m going to attempt a few whole chickens this weekend. -30 deg C out today with wind so I hope the weather turns a bit for tomorrow. I’m not sure how the egg performs in that cold. This will be my first cook on the egg. Hope they turn out. Thanks for all the good reading on this forum. A lot of good tips. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• Welcome aboard ! The Egg will with stand the cold with no problems, the cook is a different story. Good Luck !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Welcome. I wonder, as hardy as you Canadians are, what is "a bit"

-28 C?

;)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Welcome to the forum.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387

"a bit" - looks like -22 deg C tomorrow with wind. So looking better for sure. I'll keep the beer and rums going, All good.

• AlbertaEgger

Having a hard time posting my table, just attempting it again here. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @nolaegghead - You best step up man.

Our new friend has a leather couch in his man-bear-cave.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @nolaegghead - You best step up man.

Our new friend has a leather couch in his man-bear-cave.
    Welcome to the forum!

This could become an arms(chair) race!
    edited January 2013
    Crap! What should the nickname be for the largest non-militarized border in the world?

"Iron Curtain" doesn't seem to have the necessary je nes sais quoi.
  • Congrats on the new Egg.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    We gotta do something about all these Canucks infiltrating the forum guys!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    you a black kettle!
    Thanks for the welcome guys. And im sure there is no issue with Canadians now is there...
  • nolaegghead
    (Little Steven pretends he's not Canadian just to mock the Americans, which he secretly wishes he was, even though, I, for one, don't understand that except it may be related to being vertically challenged) :D
    Crap! What should the nickname be for the largest non-militarized border in the world? "Iron Curtain" doesn't seem to have the necessary je nes sais quoi.
    The South Canadian Mason-Dixon Tariff Curtain?

(Little Steven pretends he's not Canadian just to mock the Americans, which he secretly wishes he was, even though, I, for one, don't understand that except it may be related to being vertically challenged) :D

Fear not, we shall make this his Leipzig and Waterloo.
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Man and I was thinking my heating bills were high last month and the temp was average around 30 haha. -22C is just too cold for me ;)

Good luck and enjoy!
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Who wouldn't want to be a Canuck with only 75 fresh cm of snow in the past 24hrs in st johns Newfoundland and 110km/h winds!!!! Damn my egg better still be there in the morning!!!

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    LOL, I have been in the pool and the hot tub today.  Now about July when the mosquitoes, Love Bugs, and 100 degree temps have arrived we might have another discussion.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• AlbertaEgger
    I heard you guys were getting hit hard out east CANMAN. Sorry to hear that. I'd still be trying out the new egg tomorrow though. The bbq wouldn't cut it in that wind. Could be -40 tomorrow and I would still be trying it out for first time.
  • Adamd said:
    Man and I was thinking my heating bills were high last month and the temp was average around 30 haha. -22C is just too cold for me ;)

Good luck and enjoy!

And I haven't been able to turn off my A/C for more than 1 or 2 days this "winter". I like seasons, so it is annoying that my heater hasn't been on since 2010. It is truly balmy out here...74 with 90% humidity tonight. It's gross. @albertaegger - welcome aboard
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @AlbertaEgger - Welcome, good luck with the cook.....

Here on the left coast it was sunny today, will send it over the Rockies to you for tomorrow. Getting real cool for lotus land tonight, going down to -2C, I might have to bring in the hose...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • AlbertaEgger

Thanks for the updates. looks like we will warm up to -23 tomorrow with wind. So not bad, still looking like i will get my first cook in with the new egg. Summer is just around the corner though and i cant wait. I usually rotissie my birds, and i always inject them, so any advice on a vertical bird would be great, indirect, and debating injection or not....

• nolaegghead
    Adamd said:

Good luck and enjoy!

And I haven't been able to turn off my A/C for more than 1 or 2 days this "winter". I like seasons, so it is annoying that my heater hasn't been on since 2010. It is truly balmy out here...74 with 90% humidity tonight. It's gross. @albertaegger - welcome aboard
    NEWB_IN_NOLA isn't kidding.  It's so humid I could put out a fire with my leafblower.
    NOLAEGGHEAD, any comment on the vertical chicken? Injection or not? And i have seen a bunch of comments on haveing leg up for the egg...
  • nolaegghead
    You could do it plate setter legs up, maybe a drip pan with an air gap under the plate setter, then the grill grate, bird rigged up on some kinda apparatus that holds its ass and all the dark meat up into the hot part of the dome. 

Or you could do it raised direct with the ass facing the lump. 

Or you could spatchcock it.

You can inject if ya want.  Just try it different ways.  If you want to minimize the variables, it's easier to start simple.

Good luck, post pics and read the forum and you'll lessen the slope of the learning curve. ;)
    Who dat chu callin Canajun? I from da bayou cher'. We call da bayou da Niagara scarpment here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AlbertaEgger

Well, just fired up the Egg for the first time, cant belive how fast it gets to temp. Goint to try some birds. Wish me luck.  

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Remember we wanna see some pics too!!!

[-O<
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • AlbertaEgger
    Will do, I have pretty crappy internet service out here though. Turned out to be a nice day, - 14, perfect.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Well, just fired up the Egg for the first time, cant belive how fast it gets to temp. Goint to try some birds. Wish me luck.  

Good luck man. If you aren't back in 90 minutes we'll send the dogsleds

Steve 

Caledon, ON