Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egghead Weightloss Competition has begun!!!

2»

Comments

• for this to work for me its just say no to the booze, i find reduction to be impossible, all in or all out. i thought going from 12/15/or more shots of whiskey a night plus a couple beers to a bowl of chicken broth a night would be difficult but it wasnt
    That's a boatload of whiskey! Ive cut back from 3-4 beers per week to 1 or 2. I thought I was cutting way back!
    Damn right. I'm what "difficult" is to him. I have seen patients in withdrawal on less than that.
    I have switched to grass fed but I do not like the taste at all. We are committed to switching though because of the good fats in grass fed over grain/corn fed. I can't get past the "sour" taste but I know I'll get used to it eventually. I'll never give up eating beef so I'm willing to put in the time retraining my taste buds to like grass fed.

Guilt free pot roast, ribeyes, pulled chuckies....it's worth it. 
    Hee Hee. People say the same thing about Diet Coke. 
    yeah, but it's a fact that Diet Coke is horrible for you and that grass fed beef is good for you. Unfortunately I like Diet Coke better than most grass fed beef :)) But, I'm drinking less of one and eating more of the other. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Exactly. That is why I Hee Hee'd. You are trading up, not down.

• Exactly. That is why I Hee Hee'd. You are trading up, not down.

so true. You never see some skinny dude or hottie pounding a diet coke
  • Eggcelsior
    edited January 2013
    Exactly. My favorite is when I worked fast food in high school. The "ladies" would roll in every Sunday after church and get their meals "rounded up"(Roy Rogers version of Supersize).

The part that slayed me? "Can I get a 44 oz Diet Coke? I'm on a diet."
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    what's the bad part - carbonic acid, phosphoric acid, sweetener...or is it psychological?
  • From what I have heard in regards to Diet Coke is that some studies state that your body over compensates for getting "0" calories for something. So your body wants to eat, usually carbs, because you just tricked it.
  • Eggcelsior
    what's the bad part - carbonic acid, phosphoric acid, sweetener...or is it psychological?
    Psychological. All those missing "empty calories" turn into very real, very full calories because people think they can eat more.

• nolaegghead
    That's not a problem I have.  I like the diet because I think it tastes better.  Whew!
    I would guess you are in the minority

• what's the bad part - carbonic acid, phosphoric acid, sweetener...or is it psychological?
    The sweetner is the killer.  It is actually poison.  I am finally breaking the habit.  I use carbonated water with a few drops of stevia for a mixer.  Ad lemon of or just a dash of a flavored juice if desired.

Years ago I drank Crown Royal and TAB.  I was in a bar one night and ordered one.  The bartender said, "man, I can't fix that."  so I said, "What, are you out of TAB?"  The bartender said, "I've got TAB and I've got Crown, but aint no way in hell I'm mixing them together!"
  • nolaegghead
    SWMBO will put steak sauce on a prime filet.  She likes it rare - I'm down with that, but adding the steak sauce is a sacrilegious violation, and I ain't religious.    She also only drinks her Gentleman Jack with coke (fully leaded).  I like to drink the good stuff on the rock.  Mostly I drink Evan William black.  Good, but cheap.
  • I'm surprised so many of you said the grass fed tastes different or worse. I found that it is better, especially on steaks. That's why it was easy for me to switch. Except for the effect on the wallet of course.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    for this to work for me its just say no to the booze, i find reduction to be impossible, all in or all out. i thought going from 12/15/or more shots of whiskey a night plus a couple beers to a bowl of chicken broth a night would be difficult but it wasnt
    That's a boatload of whiskey! Ive cut back from 3-4 beers per week to 1 or 2. I thought I was cutting way back!
    LMFAO........If I only had 3-4 drinks per week I would consider myself a Mormon!  From 4 down to 2 would only save 200 calories or so.  You could just shave twice a day to burn those calories off.
    Dude I think I could qualify to be a priest on that amount and I ain't even Catholic

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    A lot of it is what you're used to.  Japanese beef, even the "real" Kobe, I've read, is more aligned with the Japanese pallet.   Most American's would prefer American styled beef in a blind taste test (fat levels being the same - everyone loves fat) Taste is definitely subjective.
    I guess I should have looked at this earlier.  We went back on the program this week, and I've lost 7 pounds so far.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    if you still have to have those 1 or 2 beers a week, its i sign of alcoholism
    :))and i didnt make that up
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I've lost about 5 in a week.  Mrs. 500 is on WW, so she already is in the habit of making good choices.  I walked with her Sunday; a quick pace for about two miles.  I play volleyball on Friday nights for a little exercise as well. 

Egged burgers for lunch yesterday.  She bought 93% lean ground beef.  It was a challenge to get them juicy.  Had to kind of roast them slow raised direct at 350 so I wouldn't overshoot medium.  I made a special sauce for them, like a Big Mac sauce, and grilled onions for them as well.  Not bad for a super lean burger.  Can't say the were juicy, but they were pretty good.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Does this competition mean that there will be a lot more recipe posts in the vegetarian section of the forum? My wife will be happy about that--it's a pretty sparse category.
    Dunedin, FL
  • I've got a recipe for balsamic brussel sprouts with bacon. You could leave out the bacon and it would be just fine. We cook it on the stove top though.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Went back to the gym yesterday hurt like heck today...
    Lynnwood WA
  • How ya doing today? I worked out pretty decent last night, was absolutely exhausted.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Hit a 6am spin class yesterday and another one today feeling great. 3 gym trips a week was my initial goal but I'm going again tomorrow.
    Lynnwood WA
  • I hit the gym yesterday but off today.  I've read that the first three weeks of a diet are the hardest so I'm trying to focus just on the diet until I'm over the hump.  Trying to work out and diet might be too much for this fat boy to handle right off the bat.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• I hit the gym yesterday but off today.  I've read that the first three weeks of a diet are the hardest so I'm trying to focus just on the diet until I'm over the hump.  Trying to work out and diet might be too much for this fat boy to handle right off the bat.

Start with a 15-20 min walk in the morning or after dinner for a week or 2. Any forward movement is good and will help when you are ready to work out.
  • Eggcelsior
    +1

Even walk before dinner, briskly. It will help boost your metabolism and help you burn the calories more efficiently.

Start with a 15-20 min walk in the morning or after dinner for a week or 2. Any forward movement is good and will help when you are ready to work out.
    Will do.  Good advice. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Down 5.5 lbs this week and I didn't exercise. I workout in the mornings and my son has not been sleeping well. I've been up 4-5 times per night with him so when the alarm goes off at 4:30, I've snoozed through it.
    Mark Annville, PA