Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Nest Stability Question

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
Last week when I set up my new large on it's base cabinet I must have been on autopilot when I got to the end. The cabinet had an aluminum brace you could use to tie the lower ring band of the Egg to an adjacent cabinet unit for stability. Without thinking I installed it and now it occurs to me when my back ordered medium length cover arrives, this brace will interfere with putting the cover on. I know some of you will say: bag the cover and save some money, but I want to use a cover.

So my question is this: Do any of you folks have your Eggs just sitting on a table nest, on a low stand or base cabinet with no bracing? Are there any stability or wind issues? For example wok cooking with the lid up? Here are two pictures of the current setup. 

TIA
Jim

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Bag the cover..hehe. If the wind blows your egg over that's probably the least of your worries.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I think that setup is a little unsafe.  It would be too easy to knock your Egg over, even with the brace.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Jim, I've had no issues, my medium is solid on its nest, no brace. 
    I must comment though, using the egg to wok, although enjoyed by many, is not for me. I use a propane turkey burner. The dome is only up when I am attending to the cook or starting it. Although it appears to be more unstable when the dome is up, you are there when using your wok.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I think that setup is a little unsafe.  It would be too easy to knock your Egg over, even with the brace.
    Agree with Sam, One brace is not gonna save you. its only going to determine the direction of the fall.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

Tough to say - are the two cabinets tied together themselves?  It looks like your BBQ area is a poured slab so nice and level and smooth. 

My egg is in a nest so I can't comment on how stable an unnested egg would be.  I agree with others that the aluminum bar looks lightweight for the egg - but I wouldn't want to run without it (or a metal strap from HD cut to match and be more rigid.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've blasted my BGE with a 95 mph Echo gas leaf blower and it didn't budge.  You should get some community warning if you're going to get a hurricane or tornado.  Psychologically, it looks less stable raised up because our brains think about the fall, but it's no less stable than if it were on the ground - unless your cabinet is what blows over.

Drunk people, large dogs and kids are probably bigger risks than wind to knocking it over.  The center of gravity is about a foot up and the shape of an egg is pretty aerodynamic.
    edited January 2013
    Thanks guys for the replies. Actually it occurred to me after I posted this, but I won't even be doing any working on the new one because I have a spider with five legs that won't fit on the fire ring of the new Egg which has three notches.

As for the aluminum strap, it actually is more than adequate to the task at hand. It is just under 1/4" thick, and in the direction it's being stressed in it is more than up to the task. I see no problem if I keep it on. My question is just how stable is the Egg without the strap sitting just on the Table Nest.

What I have to decide is if the Egg sitting alone in the Table Nest is stable. @Skiddymarker has his set up just like mine would be and I find that encouraging. I think @nolaegghead has it right when he says that it sitting on the Table Nest is no different than having it sit on the ground. The two cabinets are screwed together and they are quite heavy themselves so I don't see them easily tipping over. With all of the lawyers running around these days, there is no warning in the directions for the Table Nest about additional bracing being needed. I think I am safe going strapless.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    jfm0830 said:
     I think I am safe going strapless.

And it shows off those beautiful shoulders you have. 
    You are right about the legal stuff, never seems to stop. I think the idea of the table nest is as the name implies, it is to be used on a table, BGE probably had in mind to be in a standard, honking big table with a hole cut in it for the egg. It is very solid and takes a lot of push to even get it to rock. Nola is right, big dogs, kids and drunks are more of a threat than having the egg "blow over".  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    My take on the Table Nest is it was a solution for people installing the Egg on a table and having a potential fire issue. The Table Nest was probably designed to give a safe separation between the bottom of the Egg and any potential table top material. Every so often you hear a story about someone's table catching on fire which isn't great PR for the BGE company. This way here they now offer a solution and if folks don't choose to use it, it's not the company's fault. I didn't start thinking about stability until I opened the hardware pack for the cabinet and found the brace. So with the Egg on theTtable Nest that brace may just be a solution in need of a problem.

I'm not too worried about kids and dogs. And I'm the only drunk that would get close enough to it to knock it over. And I promise I'm not going to fall on my Egg, even if I make a real bad meal.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

The way I feel about my egg - I might throw myself between it and the ground to save it...

Ever notice how a stumbly drunk never spills his drink!

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• My egg just sat on a stand on some bricks for a year. Nothing around it. I was never happy about it but it never budged through wind, storms or cooking.

In a table now

XLBGE 
  • Yet another option is to get a compact table cover, it may fit over the whole thing nicely.

Just a thought.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    jfm0830 said:
    think I am safe going strapless.

Free balling baby...
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Humpty Dumpty comes to mind.