Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kabob Ideas?

Cooking steak and chicken Kabobs tonight for the first time on the egg. How do ya'll do them? Direct or Indirect? What temp? I used to cook them direct on a gasser but had to keep turning them so the meat wouldnt burn on one side. Its a pain when you are trying to maintain a certain temp.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Cook them raised direct so it is easier getting to them. That way they are at the felt line.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i like some char on kabobs so 425 direct works for me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Depends how many you are doing. For only a couple of skewers, on my MBGE, I do them direct at 400. Turning is not an issue and there is room to move them around and find hot or cool spot. If doing five or six skewers, I go raised direct at 400-450. We do souvlaki at least once a week, SWMBO's favorite. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Smear peanut putter on your kabobs; pork, lamb, beef.  Put in fridge for several hours and grill.  You will not taste the peanut butter but it will make the flavor pop.  I learned this from an Arab friend who does this on his lamb.  He learned it from his father.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • I cook them raised, direct.  I also like to use a small, plum type tomato that I grow in my garden and pearl onions.  I usually turn them by hand or use a tong if the fire is too hot.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chubbs
    I cook them raised, direct.  I also like to use a small, plum type tomato that I grow in my garden and pearl onions.  I usually turn them by hand or use a tong if the fire is too hot.

VI, will you build a solar powered "garden house" so I can move in? I will keep up your compost piles, keep the garden pruned and mulched, polish your eggs/cameras/guns, and eat the meals you prepare.
  • Chubbs said:

VI, will you build a solar powered "garden house" so I can move in? I will keep up your compost piles, keep the garden pruned and mulched, polish your eggs/cameras/guns, and eat the meals you prepare.
    Gosh, Chubbs.  I appreciate that, but from looking at your handle, I don't think I could afford to feed you.   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs said:

Gosh, Chubbs.  I appreciate that, but from looking at your handle, I don't think I could afford to feed you.   :))

Yeah, about time I change that!! The name Chubbs came from a buddy of mine who is trying to get on PGA tour. I play with him so much and know his game so much I can pick his clubs for him better than he can himself. So, he borrowed the name from the stupid movie Happy Gilmore, and started calling me Chubbs. the name has stuck for a few years now.

I could probably stand to lose some pounds, but the name could be misleading a bit. 6'2" 200lbs...

• All good suggestions above, except for the peanut butter! I HATE peanut butter! Yeah, yeah, I know, I was abused as a child. Always make certain to use two skewers per kabob, separated by about 1/4 inch. This keeps the meat and veggies from spinning when you turn the kabob! This way, all sides get exposed to heat. Enjoy your dinner!
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I cook the vegetables and the meats on different skewers. I find the vegetables take longer to cook than the meat. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • We love Kofta Kebobs. Basically it's seasoned ground lamb on a stick. A little different from normal Kebobs, but well worth it. In fact, I just made some two weeks ago and posted them on here with a link to the recipe.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    edited January 2013

Looks like direct is the way to go. Thanks for all the replies. Will throw down some pics tonight or tomorrow.

Also, any thoughts on how to raise my grid up flush with the gasket? Never tried this either.

• Plano_JJ said:

Also, any thoughts on how to raise my grid up flush with the gasket? Never tried this either.

I put the grid on my spider.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ said:

I put the grid on my spider.
    Cool, duh. Didnt even think of that. Thanks!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Plano_JJ said:

Looks like direct is the way to go. Thanks for all the replies. Will throw down some pics tonight or tomorrow.

I just raise it up on three bricks because I ain't got no fancy-pants spider-thangy.
    Plano_JJ said:

I just raise it up on three bricks because I ain't got no fancy-pants spider-thangy.
    And I thought you were going to say that spiders make you nervous......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Plano_JJ
    edited January 2013
    Kabobs came out good. Thanks for the tip on the Spider Village Idiot. Cooked em direct at 400.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks good - don't be afraid to crank that heat up on kabobs if ya like da crispy crust
    Depends how many you are doing. For only a couple of skewers, on my MBGE, I do them direct at 400. Turning is not an issue and there is room to move them around and find hot or cool spot. If doing five or six skewers, I go raised direct at 400-450. We do souvlaki at least once a week, SWMBO's favorite. 
    Do you have a good recipe for souvlaki?  I have tried several variations, but am not fully satisfied with the ones I have tried.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Shish-TaWook is an Arabic chicken kabob.  It is marinated in orange juice and spices and is very tasty served with hummus.  The spice mixture is kind of flexible.  I have seen it done many different ways.  I just use fresh ground sea salt, ground pepper and garlic.  You can add cayenne for some heat if you like as well.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!