Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Do You Afford It?

13»

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    Maybe I have more time than some, but I watch the sales. Other than brisket, everything comes on sale maybe two or three time a year, stock up. 
    Recently, Safeway had standing rib, bone in, AAA (Choice for Americans I think) for $5.99 per pound with a limit of 4. (this one is 4.820 Kg, or about 10.6 pounds)
    The packaged roasts were typically four pounders, I asked the butcher for a four or five rib roast, take the bones off, tie back on for me. Picked up two more before SWMBO said "that's enough, the freezer is full". 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    edited January 2013

For us, it’s a bit of a balancing act.  For certain meals and occasions, we buy higher end meats, like beef tenderloins, rib roasts, porterhouse, etc.  But one of the things we really love about the egg is its ability to make “normal” food taste so much better. The majority of the time we buy much lesser expensive meats or take advantage of specials and stock up.  For example, I can usually find whole chickens and turkeys pretty cheap.  Whether spatchcocked, beer butt or roasted, everybody loves them on the Egg. The last several months, we’ve been able to find pork loins for $1.50-2.00/lb., and they’re awesome on the Egg.  After seeing one of Doc’s famous drumstick posts, I bought one of those wing/egg racks, and now my wife even loves drumsticks (after 37 years!).  And, as several have mentioned already, there’s something special about a pizza on the Egg. We’ve now found ourselves spending more time on weekends wondering what to cook on the Egg than which restaurant to go to, although we still go to plenty.  All in all, our food budget has probably gone down, but our food quality has improved.  And we’re just newbies - every day I get more ideas from this forum. Now, the beer and whiskey budget, that’s another thing...

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Thanks, everyone. I don't usually shop at a full-service grocery store, so I don't stumble on specials. I should make a habit of stopping in or at least reading the fliers. Shopping habits are a bit different in urban areas than in the suburbs. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jlsm said:
    Thanks, everyone. I don't usually shop at a full-service grocery store, so I don't stumble on specials. I should make a habit of stopping in or at least reading the fliers. Shopping habits are a bit different in urban areas than in the suburbs. 
    I don't have a lot of shopping choices where I live in SE North Carolina.  The closest outlet where I can purchase decent meats is more than 35 miles away.  I only go there when I need to and plan my trips accordingly.  Unless I have something in my freezer I cannot have any spur of the moment cooks unless its chicken.  The local grocery stores here have a lousy selection of junk cuts and pre-packed garbage that is way over priced.  Every now and then WalMart will have some full untrimmed briskets that go about 14-15 lbs, however, they are not that good in quality and the price was somewhat high.  The meat manager told me they sell most of their meat below 9% cost.  I find that hard to believe because WalMart is so huge.  Sometimes the pork selections of butts and shoulders is lousy quality as well.  I never paid more than $1.49 for butts anywhere.  Here they are $2.79 - $2.99 and will go on sale sometimes for $1.99.  I found a Piggly Wiggly 40 miles away that will sell me 100 lbs of butts at $1.29.  They have some decent meat in that store.  We just don't have the population to support a good store around here. 

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Don't eat beef that often. I buy the chicken and the big pork tenderloins at BJ's.  The pork is cut down to cook-sized portions and vacuum sealed.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited January 2013
    Don't know if this has been said but after getting my rig for Christmas, Sous Vide is going to produce amazing for leftovers. I'm hoping to have some tonight for the first time.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I think my wife and I have saved a ton since we got the egg.  We don't eat out nearly as much as we did.  I'll admit that sometimes we would eat out 6 meals a week or more so you see where we could save big on eating out.  We both have a huge sushi addiction that we still have to satisfy.  I always head to the "cutout" meat section when I hit kroger.  I hardly ever buy meat at the counter.  I'll get a couple of packages and throw them in the fridge.  If I don't eat it in a couple of days I just toss it in the freezer in it's original packaging.  I swear you can't tell the difference if you don't leave it in there too long.  When my dad moved I pulled some pecans out of his freezer that were 15 years old.  We proceeded to eat them over the next year!

One of the main ways to save on food is to eat what you buy.  I've tried to get into the habit of freezing leftovers and not letting them just sit in the fridge and turn into a science project.