Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meh chicken...

So I fired up the green monster for lunch today for my first official cook on the egg. Original menu was Cajun chicken breasts with hot dogs (what a combo). Well when I got home from church my mom had picked up some pre seasoned chicken quarters. That threw me off as I was expecting a pretty quick cook. I went with indirect at 425. Put on the thighs and then the breasts about 15 minutes later. Pulled the breasts after about 25 mins but the thighs went just about an hour or so.

My thermapen hasn't come in yet so I had to do the ol cut and look technique. The dogs were thrown on the gasser as my kiddos were starting to get hungry. I don't take any pics as I was ashamed of the product.

The chicken breasts turned out decent but the thighs had super rubber skin. There was practically no taste besides just some residual smoke flavor from the cowboy charcoal.

Here is what I would love feedback on:
1. Does anyone ever cook bone in skin on chicken that actually has flavor on the meat? I have brined in the past with excellent results but I am talking about flavoring something on the fly?

2. I feel that the cowboy charcoal was really "charred" smelling. I did however wait until I had good clean smoke before putting the food on.

3. How long should something like this take from start to finish as I got started about 12 getting the egg going bad I don't take the chicken thighs off until 1:25. Everyone was a little restless waiting that long.

4. I wrapped my plate setter in foil but the egg was smoking like a furnace from all of the chicken fat. Is there a preferred size pan to catch the drippings to keep all the bad smoke away?

I probably have more questions but I am so disheartened I will just await all of your replys. Thanks.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2013
    I cook 400 and direct raised. I only cook with skin and bone. I never brine. Always good except once. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Are firebricks sufficient for an XL? I think I read a previous post where a guy was having trouble with the bricks staying. I guess the other question is timing when to put everything on while anticipating different finish times and temps?

Does anyone ever do spatched chicken with skin off?
  • Mickey
    Most people split the bricks and use 3.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• As mentioned above try direct on a raised grid, crispy skin.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• REMtx
    REMtx Posts: 63
    1. The first part of my first cook on my large egg had chicken drumsticks, not brined. Cooked it raised direct around 400 but got a bit impatient and got it to about 450.  Very juicy and flavorful and whatever skin the drumsticks had came nice and crispy/charred.

2. I have never cooked with Cowboy, some people like it, others hate it. Quality seems to go up and down at times. I'ved cooked with Ozark Oak and it has been pretty clean burning.

Also how did you light it (firestarters vs electric starter vs map gas, etc).  If you used firestarters how many did you use?  Charcoal could also influence start times  (some burn cleaner than others, some are more dense, takes awhile to light, etc).  Many variables.
  • I did some wangs today that I brined yesterday, dried in the fridge overnight, dusted with corn starch and cooked 300 raised indirect today. By far most flavorful, juiciest wings I have ever had. Dusted half with swamp venom and finished with bone suckin sauce and the other half with Tsunami and finished with Salt lick sauce. The Tsunami/Salt lick was the winner but both were awesome. Smoked over cherry and the brine soaked up the sweetness from the cherry wood. These were the best wings I've ever made and probably ever had. I'm all in on brining.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Raised grid direct for the flavor and quick (always cook to finish temp)  cook-run chicken whole and parts at around 350-400*F on the dome.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    edited January 2013
    This is how I light the Large. I use Ozark Oak, BGE or (the same stuff in Royal). Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• rholt
    Thanks guys. I used a looftlighter but only did about 3 small spots. In hindsight I probably should have got it going a little more before putting the setter in,etc.

Anyone ever go skinless on a whole bird?
  • CenTex: Mind sharing your brine recipe?
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    We trim all the skin off our spatchcock chickens. I prefer them that way. I hope I don't get deleted from the forum for admitting that.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • eggerbbq said:
    CenTex: Mind sharing your brine recipe?

gallon of water, cup of salt, 1/2 cup of sugar. Bring to boil, let cool. then add the bird to the brine. As simple as it gets. I do the salt and sugar in a 1/2 gallon and add 1/2 gallon of ice water as it cools. saves you a few hours of time
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • rholt
    Hi54putty said:

We trim all the skin off our spatchcock chickens. I prefer them that way.

I hope I don't get deleted from the forum for admitting that.

So how do they turn out? Still juicy or more dry without the skin and fat to keep moist? What set up and temp do you use?
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    They turn out great. Very moist. You get the full benefit of the rub. It forms a little crust instead of coming off with the skin. I do them raised direct at 400 to 450 until 160 in the breast.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • rholt
    Thanks a bunch. I am going to give that a try.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I do marinated breasts boneless and skinless 350-400 raised direct all the time. Amazingly moist. Couldn't stand boneless chicken breasts before the egg.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • rholt
    Thanks for the tips.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited January 2013
    1. Does anyone ever cook bone in skin on chicken that actually has flavor on the meat? I have brined in the past with excellent results but I am talking about flavoring something on the fly?

I don't brine.  A little garlic powder, S&P, and a couple wood chunks is what I use for flavor.  Thighs pick up less smoke flavor than breasts.

2. I feel that the cowboy charcoal was really "charred" smelling. I did however wait until I had good clean smoke before putting the food on.

I have not used cowboy, but have friends that use it all the time.
    Maybe fat dripped off the plate setter and mixed into the charcoal.

3. How long should something like this take from start to finish as I got started about 12 getting the egg going bad I don't take the chicken thighs off until 1:25. Everyone was a little restless waiting that long.

It should not have more than hour at 425* to do thighs; unless they were partially frozen. Try raised direct at 350*.  Thighs will cook in 30* - 45 minutes.  When doing high temp cooks use your looflighter to start more than one spot to reduce warm up time.

4. I wrapped my plate setter in foil but the egg was smoking like a furnace from all of the chicken fat. Is there a preferred size pan to catch the drippings to keep all the bad smoke away?

I'd use a shallow tray or pizza pan just smaller than the PS to ensure no airflow is blocked.  That way if you cook a bunch of items, you have coverage.  Raise it just slight off the placesetter so air can pass under it.  2 or 3 nickles stacked together in 3 spots will do the trick.  wrap the nickles in foil and reuse them for each cook.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • rholt
    Wow. Great response. Thanks.