Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon Pics

Good morning Eggers.

I solicited some advice on Salmon this past weekend and got a lot of feedback.  I really appreciate it.  What a great place to get and share ideas.

Here are the pics after the salmon was done.  This Egg just blows my mind.  In the close up you can tell how PERFECTLY it was cooked.  Unreal.  You know its done right when you cut with the fork and it slides so easily off of the skin bottom.

It was 2 lbs total, cooked skin down.  I had the egg about 310*, somewhere in that area and left on for 30 minutes.  I basted with honey before cook and added Old Bay Seasoning for taste.  Gave it all a nice rub to ensure evenness.  My butcher told me that wild caught salmon has a stronger fish flavor than raised.  My guests are not huge fish eaters so I went with the raised.  Not sure if the honey would work out as well with a stronger fish flavor, but it worked great with the pieces I had.

Thanks again everyone.  Have a great week.

- EAT BEEF -

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Looks great. Salmon on the egg is so good.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Looks to be cooked to perfection.  Next time you might try a chunk of alder wood, it is perfect for salmon.  Also Dizzy Pig Raging River is excellent and I usually brush on a little maple syrup.  Just don't overcook it and you didn't.
  • tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93

Looks to be cooked to perfection.  Next time you might try a chunk of alder wood, it is perfect for salmon.  Also Dizzy Pig Raging River is excellent and I usually brush on a little maple syrup.  Just don't overcook it and you didn't.
    Oh forgot! I put a couple handfuls of Alder chips in my coals right before I put the salmon on. The only smoke I had was that initial blast. That Alder is good stuff, first time I've used it. You can tell its there but its not kicking you in the teeth like other woods can.
    - EAT BEEF -
  • tays44
    I think my one screw up though was putting the salmon on foil while in the egg.  probably didn't get as much smoke as I could have with that foil down.  Thoughts on foil anyone?
    - EAT BEEF -
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I usually plank mine so not much eggsperience with foil, but that is how my brother does his and his is good too.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I've never found a need to use foil.  I flip flop between skin on and skin off and always cook direct.Probably if you cook skin on foil won't matter as long as it is skin down.
  • tays44
    Yeah next time I will go without foil.  Just from my experience grilling fish or putting it into my old smoker set up (an upright, small charcoal smoker) I got scared and went ahead and used the foil.  I'll just heavily oil the grates and skin next time.
    - EAT BEEF -
  • leaving the politics out of farm vs wild it is my experience that if fish tastes fishy it there has been some improper handing of it along the way, we prefer wild and serve it to people who are not usually fish eaters with no complaints

It is not just a salmon thing, good sushi melts in your mouth, bad sushi tastes like fish
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • and nice looking cook, just made my dinner decision for me, grilling some king for the game tonight

Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • tays44
    Yeah I don't think he meant bad fishy. Obviously different species have different levels of fishy taste. I think that's what he was eluding to.

But good point on the sushi. I've never had salmon sushi taste fishy, and that's supposed to be the highest quality stuff you can get right?

- EAT BEEF -
  • Salmon sushi is fabulous. I have eaten it right off the cleaning table in Alaska. Doesn't get any fresher than that. Personally,I think wild caught is more mild than farm raised.
  • tays44
    Interesting.  I was also dealing with a guy at a meat counter at a Tom Thumb in Dallas. 
    - EAT BEEF -