Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Brisket ???

Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
Was in Sav-A-Lot grocery today and saw fresh pork briskets, $1.49/lb and averaged about 2.5-2.8 Lbs.
Have never seen- or I missed it- on this forum.  Any thoughts are eggpreciated. TIA.

Comments

• Many people call the big flap on the back of spares the "brisket"
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    New phrase to me-but for that price just give it a shot!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I just read an article that says it's the bottom part of a picnic that has been deboned. When i first learned to do ribs, everyone was calling the flap on the spares the "brisket"
  • Richard Fl
    edited January 2013

Thanks! probably picnic bottom.
    I like to make chili from the "brisket" when cutting St Louis.

Cen-Tex Smoker--
    I just read an article that says it's the bottom part of a picnic that has been deboned. When i first learned to do ribs, everyone was calling the flap on the spares the "brisket"
    Many people call the big flap on the back of spares the "brisket"

This is not the "brisket" portion of ribs that become St Louis.  There is no bone/cartiligous in this meat and looks more like a small tenderloin.

• Thanks! probably picnic bottom.

Cen-Tex Smoker--
    I just read an article that says it's the bottom part of a picnic that has been deboned. When i first learned to do ribs, everyone was calling the flap on the spares the "brisket"

This is not the "brisket" portion of ribs that become St Louis.  There is no bone/cartiligous in this meat and looks more like a small tenderloin.

we are talking about 2 different things . The cut you are referring to is trimmed off the top to creat St. Lou's. The cut I'm talking about is on the back of the spares and looks like flank/skirt steak
  • Richard Fl

Thanks! probably picnic bottom.

Cen-Tex Smoker--

we are talking about 2 different things . The cut you are referring to is trimmed off the top to creat St. Lou's. The cut I'm talking about is on the back of the spares and looks like flank/skirt steak
    The part I am referring to is the flap near the belly, not the top and has some small bones/cartiligous.  I should have been a butcher 'cause I have butchered this thread-  must be the single malt.  Ask Mickey.
  • So I found one today did it look like this? Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Couldn't apss you it. You got me all interested in it. Not sure what i'm going to do with it yet but I'm sure I'll think of something fun