Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Maiden Voyage

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
Tonight is the night!  Got some chicken breast going and I'm eager to see what all the fuss is about!   :D

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    As Cen-tex said a whilst back you will never want chicken any other way.
    Lynnwood WA
  • cazzy
    Options
    I imagine resting is still necessary after searing, right?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I imagine resting is still necessary after searing, right?

not so much but it can't hurt
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • double
    Options
    After the pork chops were done tonight an I saw your post it inspired me to fire up the sidekic again, wife is going away tomorrow with the kids to her sisters for a few days so I'm sending them off with some chicken breasts for tomorrow night. Also just realized it means I have 4 nights of bachelor cooking with my sidekic and egg! Damn and no alcohol ...
    Lynnwood WA
  • cazzy
    Options
    I'm trying to like it more than I am. I'm not a texture guy but the texture just seems weird to me
  • double
    Options
    How long did you cook at what temp?
    My wife seriously freaks at textures she loved the chicken. I did 145 for 3 hrs. Quick sear.
    Lynnwood WA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I'm trying to like it more than I am. I'm not a texture guy but the texture just seems weird to me

just take a breath. do a chicken breast on the egg and do one SV and see which one is better
  • cazzy
    Options
    double said:

My wife seriously freaks at textures she loved the chicken. I did 145 for 3 hrs. Quick sear.

147 for about 90 minutes.

• cazzy
    Options

cazzy said:

just take a breath. do a chicken breast on the egg and do one SV and see which one is better

It's my 1st attempt and 1st time I've eaten anything via SV. I'll figure it out!

• rustypotts
    Options
    Wow......My unit should be in this week.  Maybe it is best that I won't be too over confident.
  • cazzy
    Options

Wow......My unit should be in this week.  Maybe it is best that I won't be too over confident.

It's not that I didn't like it, just wasn't the texture I expected. I don't consider it a bad cook and it probably had to be out of this world to overcome the gloom that this Vikings game has put me in.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited January 2013
    Options
    While we were in Yellow Stone all the food was sous vide. Elk, salmon, lamb was cooked to a medium rare and had a different texture. It wasn't offensive just different but I didn't have any poultry. Was it over cooked a little?
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • cazzy
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:

While we were in Yellow Stone all the food was sous vide. Elk, salmon, lamb was cooked to a medium rare and had a different texture. It wasn't offensive just different but I didn't have and poultry. Was it over cooked a little?

Not at all! It was super juicy and you could tell it was cooked very delicately.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    How long did you cook at what temp? My wife seriously freaks at textures she loved the chicken. I did 145 for 3 hrs. Quick sear.

how did you finish?
  • cazzy
    Options

cazzy said:

double said:

how did you finish?

Pan sear.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    How long did you cook at what temp? My wife seriously freaks at textures she loved the chicken. I did 145 for 3 hrs. Quick sear.

how did you finish?
    Pan sear.

ok. try a side by side next time.
  • cazzy
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

how did you finish?
    Pan sear.

ok. try a side by side next time.
    Aight, i'll try that.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Oh, so you know it happened.  

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Cazzy, it looks wonderful.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !