Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

R&B grid

My first run on my R&B grid. I can't believe how much food I can put on the egg now. Tonight I'm gonna do 2 chuck roast. I just need to figure out what else now that I have all this space.
LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.

Comments

• kbutler84
    kbutler84 Posts: 140
    Looks good. I'm trying to decide which setup to go with. Do both you top and bottom racks slide? Also, what's the benefit of the oval stone over the round stone?

What I'd like to be able to do is cook indirect, have both levels slide (using the rig extender), and use a spider. What would I need to get in order the do that?
  • freduc2
    freduc2 Posts: 73
    The top sides to the back and the bottom slides forward. I love it and its worth every penny. I went with the oval because I do ribs a lot and it protects the ends of the ribs. Its just a matter of preference I guess, this suited me the best.
    LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Just to chime in about the stone. I went with the oval for the same reasons as freduc2, but also because I already own a plate setter and can still use that for other indirect cooks such as the pizza I am making for playoff football tonight. The above set up is pretty unreal.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • I believe he is using the optional grid extender as his top level. That does slide. In the standard setup, your stock SS egg grid is the top level and that does not slide. You can actually go 3 levels by adding the extender to fit on top of your SS grid. I'm just learning all this myself but I believe that is the case.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited January 2013
    I think I have the six months ago version of this rig from CGS for the LBGE. I went 'oval' for ribs with the stone and grid extender, which allows for up to six racks of ribs 'comfortably'. Also does four pork butts with drip pan easily, too. I used the rig for pizza with the oval stone shielding my pizza stone. And lay the BGR grate on the rig for raised direct a lot. The rib set up allows me to smoke a lot of fish, too, which is sometimes needed here. I'm trying real hard to identify a drawback and will let you know when I do!