Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got a new wok today - seasoned it. Pictures.

Hand made 16"  wok from China or somewhere through Amazon - $21 shipped. 

Was covered with nasty waxy oil.  Washed it off with soap and a brillo pad.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Dried in oven at 550.

imageimage
    Didn't have flaxseed oil, so I used some fish oil from capsules.   Want an oil that polymerizes.
    imageimageimage
    Did three cycles with the fish oil, until the house stunk.  Then I switched to canola, then olive.  Just to mix it up.  Here's the final 5 coat seasoning.

imageimage
    Trick to getting a nice seasoning is to wipe on the oil, then, with a dry paper towel, wipe off any excess oil before throwing it in the oven.

As the good Lord said once "I'll never get the smell out of these fish"

:D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• As the good Lord said once "I'll never get the smell out of these fish"

:D

Wow!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • So what's the process after a cook....as far as cleaning, ect. How often do you have to reseason it?
  • nolaegghead
    Food doesn't stick on a well seasoned wok (depending on what you're cooking) so it's generally easy to clean.  I just use a brush or scrubby and hot water, then dry it on the stove and add a little oil and store.
    edited January 2013
    So what's the process after a cook....as far as cleaning, ect. How often do you have to reseason it?
    You don't, you wipe it out, use a plastic scraper to peel off the bumps and away you go. 
    In many asian households there is only one pot, so it gets used everyday. 

Nice looking wok Nola, fire up the turkey burner. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    Nola......good looking wok.  Congrats.  You don't know me but I tend to be a bit cautious.  So take that into account when I ask........did you test this thing for Lead contamination?  China products are known for this issue...
    No, lead isn't a problem in carbon steel.  It's a problem with glazes and enamels.  I used to test imported pottery for lead and cadmium.  If it had any, it had to have a warning - "not for food use".  We'd do an acetic acid leach and test the leachate.  Generally the stuff that had lead and cadmium had A LOT of it, and was decorative anyway.
  • Food doesn't stick on a well seasoned wok (depending on what you're cooking) so it's generally easy to clean.  I just use a brush or scrubby and hot water, then dry it on the stove and add a little oil and store.

Thanks
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Nola......good looking wok.  Congrats.  You don't know me but I tend to be a bit cautious.  So take that into account when I ask........did you test this thing for Lead contamination?  China products are known for this issue...
    No, lead isn't a problem in carbon steel.  It's a problem with glazes and enamels.  I used to test imported pottery for lead and cadmium.  If it had any, it had to have a warning - "not for food use".  We'd do an acetic acid leach and test the leachate.  Generally the stuff that had lead and cadmium had A LOT of it, and was decorative anyway.
    Nothing too serious in old sifan bumpers
    :-S

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    To clean I've been using that bamboo cleaning wisk. Run the wok under hot water and hit it with the wisk it works real nice. I got it from the wok shop San Fran
  • nolaegghead
    ?? is that some kinda canuck code??
    I'm in the steel biz. I originally typed Lada bumpers. Lots o' chromium and martinsite in there

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I could never get the hang of the full size wok. Best to you. Sure looks good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    So what's the process after a cook....as far as cleaning, ect. How often do you have to reseason it?
    You don't, you wipe it out, use a plastic scraper to peel off the bumps and away you go. 

You right, Skiddy, this ain't never going on the egg.  Turkey burner.  (or as we like to all them, crawfish boiler) :)
    I could use some big words here, but it's 3 am and you guys prolly wouldn't understand them...

Nice lookin' wok, playah..

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Congrats on the new wok!! I know you'll love the meals you make on it. 
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2013
    Now Boudreaux, don go makin no etouffee in dat wok thing.  Its for China people food.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I would rather wok on my turkey burner as well. Way easier, faster, and hotter.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• sola
    sola Posts: 118

You right, Skiddy, this ain't never going on the egg.  Turkey burner.  (or as we like to all them, crawfish boiler) :)
    Why not the egg?
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I cant wait until it gets warm out to use my new wok.  Thanks for sharing the method to season it.

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaegghead
    sola said:
    Why not the egg?
    I have a propane burner that goes from off to 50,000 BTU back to off in 10 seconds, plus any heat level in between.   I  can concentrate the heat on just the bottom or one side of the wok so I can have hot and cool sides to work versus just having a uniform temperature.  I can change the temp in a few seconds by twisting the regulator.  I don't have smoke in my face from lump as I'm working over the wok.  I can save my lump for cooking where the smoke flavors the food.
    Gotcha, thanks.
  • nolaegghead
    If you have a tank of propane laying around from your gasser days, you can pick up a propane burner for around $30, less than the price of a spider for wok cooking on the egg.  Costs a little more than the spider for the egg, but it's a lot less work and it frees your egg up.  If you want a smokey flavor, wok hei is a high temp technique that imparts a smokey flavor.  Generally, food isn't in the wok for more than a few minutes so it doesn't have time (plus the lid is open) to pick up much smoke from the lump fire.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_27743_-1__?Ntt=propane+burner&Ntk=All

NOLA - love your fish oil trick! Made me laugh. Call me stupid, but I'm thinking you have to be some sort of degreed Engineer or you have some sort of technical degree. Oh, BTW, nice wok. Enjoy!
    Bingo!
    sola said:
    Why not the egg?
    I have a propane burner that goes from off to 50,000 BTU back to off in 10 seconds, plus any heat level in between.   I  can concentrate the heat on just the bottom or one side of the wok so I can have hot and cool sides to work versus just having a uniform temperature.  I can change the temp in a few seconds by twisting the regulator.  I don't have smoke in my face from lump as I'm working over the wok.  I can save my lump for cooking where the smoke flavors the food.
    Also, the beauty of a wok is the ability to push food up the sides to slow the cook as the items in the bottom continue to cook. In the egg, there is no "cooler" spot, it is all hot. Adjusting the burner provides a range of cooking temps. I'm all for the fun of woking on an egg, it is just not all that practical. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • sola said:
    Why not the egg?

I am going to have to get a wok at some point. Have you used one on a crawfish burner with a wok before? I have a bunch of these: http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_27736_-1?ICID=CRT:0267-01781-0090 I don't have one of the fish fry burners. I imagine $30 is probably worth having the better form factor over the jet burners?
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams