Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a little help

First off  Ihope that it is okay for me to post this here. I am an avid smoker and I have to admit I have a bit of a outdoor cooking appliance fetish!

I recently re-aquired a family treasure and am in the process of refurbishing it so that I can start using it again. It is a 1966-67 Casa Q. It was my grandfathers and hasn't been used since early eighites. It has spent the last three decades living in the weather at the Oregon coast, and amazingly enough is in pretty good shape. One thing that is not in grat shape is the firebox. It is in 5 pieces. So I was hoping that you Green Egg Owners could help me out by providing me with some actual dimensions of the various fireboxes. I believe that the Large Egg is pretty comparable in size. I hvae posted quite a bit of information on the Casa Q and photos here:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/133452/bringing-home-an-old-family-friend-q-view

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Depending on where you are, there are lots of dealers around. I'd visit one and check the sizes in the showroom. Dealers are happy to sell you "out of warranty" parts, beaucoup de profit....
    If the parts you have a re ceramic - would JB Weld "stick'em"?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The original firebox had a bottom - the new egg fireboxes don't.  Probably no big deal since the bulk of the fire sits on the fire grate.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/oldmanuals/showcasaqom.htm?I4

I checked with our one dealer here, but they are closed until after the 6th. I will check with them. JB is only rated for 500* plus I'm a bit worried of off gassing when it get hot!
  • The original firebox had a bottom - the new egg fireboxes don't.  Probably no big deal since the bulk of the fire sits on the fire grate.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/oldmanuals/showcasaqom.htm?I4
    Correct the Casa Q firebox hangs from a lip that is 10" +/- from the bottom of the body. At the lip the Casa Q body is 19" across, the inside of the lip is 17".

All of modern kamado smokers seem to now use an open bottom fire box with a grate. I found a replacement online that would work but it would once again be hanging on the lip. All the pictures I have seen of the eggs firebox show support feet. Is that correct??? I think the hanging firebox is a flaw and that's why the one I have didn't survive.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Correct - feet.  Nothing touches the sides.

Forum members routinely JB weld their fire boxes, fire rings and plate setters.  Haven't heard of any negative effects, other than sometimes it breaks apart again.

Forum members routinely JB weld their fire boxes, fire rings and plate setters.  Haven't heard of any negative effects, other than sometimes it breaks apart again.
    Thanks for the info on the feet. I'll do a bit more research on the JB weld. I have used the high temp stuff on engine parts, but have heard that it's not recommended on bbq's and such.