Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overdone at 138?

Options
So I cooked an aged prime rib. 225 degrees to 135. It settled at about 138 and I let it sit for about 15 minutes. When I cut it. It looked and felt more like it was about 150. I know my thermometer is calibrated. Any thoughts?

Comments

• SmoothSmoke
    Options
    It can go up 5 to 10 degrees while resting.  I like to pull at 120-125. 
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I was unclear. It was 138 when I went to cut it.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It probably hit 140, which is medium.  Because it's aged, it has less moisture and looks cooked even more (the juice that oozes out is red, even at 150).  I pull mine at 125, cooking at around 225. You'd probably be happy with the color if it wasn't aged.  How did it taste?
    Options
    I'm in the pull at 120-125 max club.  If you have someone that likes it more done just lower their cut into a pan of hot au jus for a minute or two.  It will come right up.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I was the only person eating who would have wanted it any other way. My wife and her folks like medium.

Nola the taste was off the charts. I've done aged steaks but not roasts. I could tell trimming it that it had that same unctuous funk as a jamon iberico. I stewed the ribs in the au jus so that brought everything right where it needed to be texture wise. It was just pale.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The taste is what matters, and that works both ways.  Lots of fear in the general populace that eating pink pork will result in an excruciatingly painful death by trichinosis.  That fear succeeds taste, and we eat with our eyes, and our brain. 

Anyway, lesson learned.  Pull earlier, cook it up in au jus.  Glad it tasted good - it's funny that the aged beef we make or buy, we want it dryer, but just about everything else, we want more moist.  We're funny people.  ;)