Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked platesetter

Options
I was preheating my egg today to 700 for some pizza. The setup was platesetter legs down with two bricks on top, then a pizza stone.

After about 40 minutes of preheat I heard a pop from the egg. Lo and behold the platesetter broke.

Is this common? Are platesetters a warrantied item?

Thanks!

-- Josh

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Should be covered.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    edited January 2013
    Options
    3 year warranty on plate setter.

2.  OTHER CERAMIC PRODUCTS:  The Big Green Egg brand of Plate Setter and Ceramic Pizza/Baking Stones carry a Limited Three (3) Year Warranty to the original purchaser.  These ceramic components are not covered for breakage from dropping or abuse.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    The good news is if you are in Taranta, the national distributor is also there. Gotta love BGE's business model, one distributor for a country the size of Canada.....That's why eggs are so darned expensive here. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    Skiddy, Taranta...isn't that where da Leaf's usually play 'ockey?

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Thought it was the city where da Jays play baseball in a fancy hotel dome thing...Happy New Year!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    I always put my plate setter and/or stones in at the beginning so they heat gradually.  If you put a cold stone in a very hot Egg it will almost always crack.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Skiddy, Taranta...isn't that where da Leaf's usually play 'ockey?
    Born there, only way to tell the locals. Just tourists and new Canadians call it Tore-on-toe, locals might even use the more acceptable T'ranta, and the Leaf's have not played 'ockey for years...
    Happy New Year......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I spent part of a honeymoon in Tore-Ron-Toe.  It was late May years ago and I was hoping the Leafs were in the playoffs and by chance we could score some tix.  Alas, they were already toast.  Beautiful city! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited January 2013
    Options
    hey Josh, I wonder if the combined weight of the pizza stone and two bricks is too much for the 'centre' of the p/s; perhaps placing the grid between the legs-down p/s and the bricks would help to distribute the load to the three p/s legs? I work at "the centre of the centre of the universe" btw  :)  Happy New Year!

Gary

canuckland
  • wilsonhp
    Options
    Maybe the added thermal mass of the two bricks caused a cold spot on the plate setter, and as the rest of it ramped up, the bricked spot couldn't keep up and the thermal mis-match caused the crack.

Were the bricks tight together or well separated?  Was the crack located under the bricks or outside?  Were the bricks in place for the entire heating process?

--wilsonhp
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    What's wrong with you guys? It's tranna

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TorontoBBQer
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply. I'm going through the warranty process now.

And by the way - its Tronno...

-- Josh
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    Covered for 3 years.  Call BGE 800-793-2292 and choose option 3 for warranty issues.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!