Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza help

I cooked a couple pizzas for the first time Saturday night and they didn't turn out to be very good. I cooked on indirect heat and could only get my dome temp to around 475. Had dome temp 800 before putting the plate-setter in. When I took the first pizza off it looked great. When you took a bite it tasted like Charcoal. Is this because the fire was not hot enough or does it have to do with my charcoal. I was using Kroger brand lump. I usually use cowboy, but thought I would try this. If anyone can help me me get rid of the charcoal/smoke taste it is greatly appreciated. Happy New Year.

Comments

• Hey @skydogg41, The best success I've had with pizza's has been at ~600 or so. I think 800 might have been too high, but I'm willing to bet 475 is a bit too low. I'd give the PS longer to come up to temp before putting the first pie on. There are a lot of threads on here with great advice for cooking pizzas, so I bet you can find the solution you're looking for.

I've never used the lump in question, so I can't comment on that part.

Best -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    You probably did not let the smoke clear. I usually wait 45 minutes to 1 hour after lighting the BGE...,
  • Usually you start the egg, drop in the setter, grid and pizza stone (whatever set-up you like) and with bottom vent wide open, DFMT off - let her go. I like pizza at 500-550. Works for my dough and topping mix. Once the temp climbs close to 500, I put the DFMT back on, petals wide open and the petal wheel slid to the side so I have a half moon and 1/2 the petals. On my MBGE this seems to hold at about 500-550. 
    You must have somehow choked the fire, that's why you had the bitter charcoal taste, I'd think. 
    Let your stone, egg stabilize at target for 15-20 minutes before you put your pie in.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Thanks for the feed back guys. If your stone is super hot how long are you cooking the pizza at 500-550? 5 minutes.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Skydogg41 said:
    Thanks for the feed back guys. If your stone is super hot how long are you cooking the pizza at 500-550? 5 minutes.
    That will depend on your dough and the thickness of your crust.  I usually put my dough and the sauce on for 5-6 minutes, then I take the pizza out and put the toppings on, and then back in for another 5 minutes or so.  Different nights the times will be different, but it works a lot better for me if I do the crust/sauce first and then finishing with the toppings.