Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick 732 problem

Options
My dome temp reads 265 but my maverick grill temp is reading 325! WTF?!?
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    I'd check them both in boiling water and see what one if off
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Is there anything between the grill probe and the burning lump?
    Options
    My plate setter is in.
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Ok.  Just checking.  If you have the probe too far to the edge where it's getting some direct heat, it'll read high.  The probe needs to be shielded from all IR radiation from the burning lump in the "shadow" of the plate setter.  It should read the same or lower.  Also, check the calibration of the dome thermometer by putting it in some boiling water. Should read 212 if you're at sea level.
    Options
    It's going down now. I bet it was getting direct heat.
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Because the egg is a tad warmer to the rear, I suggest you drop your setter in with one leg at the 12:00 0'clock position, next to the hinge. The others will be at the 8:00 and 4:00 positions. Put your pit probe over the setter leg on either side as appropriate, making sure the probe is not directly exposed to burning lump. 
    Also have found that the pit probe will read hotter when the egg is first fired. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!