Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions about your Sous Vide cooking and machines....

I am getting ready to jump on the Sous Vide band wagon but I have some questions before I take the giant leap. Is everyone happy with their machine? Do you like the results of the cooks? If you had it to do over would you buy the same machine? TFJ's chicken with the meat glue pushed me to the edge.
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I have one of the simplest set-ups around. I bought an Auber PID controller to run my slow cookers a little over a year ago. It has served me well, and I have been delighted w. the results. It does have shortcomings. Its is onlyt guaranteed to*/- 1C, and often over shoots by 2+C. My biggest slow cooker takes a little too long coming back to temperature if I put more than a few pounds of meat in at a time.  Made one of my holiday dishes late, so will be looking for something with more power.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I have the Sous Vide Supreme chef and like it a lot.  If I was going to do it all over again, I would get the Polyscience unit that Nola has just because it would allow me to do bigger pieces of food.  I'm doing a brisket right now and I had to cut a 15 pound packer into 3 pieces so it would fit.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not selling mine on ebay to get the other one.  The supreme is fantastic on fish and chicken and I'm learning alot on the beef/pork side of sous vide.  A lot of trial and error for me, especially on the aromatics side.  One area that is a little more difficult to deal with is the single temperature cook.  If you have people over for steaks and everyone likes it done differently, you have to make up the doneness at the final sear - hard to do with a torch, a little easier on the grill but you are defeating the original purpose of "exact" doneness due to sous vide.  Bottom line: a great tool that brings my cooking capabilities to a new level but nothing so dramatic as going from a gasser ot a BGE.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    I have the Polyscience Professional, same as Nola. I'd buy it again in a heart beat. Very versitle and easy to transport.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    I have a home-built controller that will control a slow-cooker, being one who likes to "tinker" and build things not only is it great for cooking it was fun to build.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited December 2012
    dlk7 said:
    I have the Sous Vide Supreme chef and like it a lot.  If I was going to do it all over again, I would get the Polyscience unit that Nola has just because it would allow me to do bigger pieces of food.  I'm doing a brisket right now and I had to cut a 15 pound packer into 3 pieces so it would fit.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not selling mine on ebay to get the other one.  The supreme is fantastic on fish and chicken and I'm learning alot on the beef/pork side of sous vide.  A lot of trial and error for me, especially on the aromatics side.  One area that is a little more difficult to deal with is the single temperature cook.  If you have people over for steaks and everyone likes it done differently, you have to make up the doneness at the final sear - hard to do with a torch, a little easier on the grill but you are defeating the original purpose of "exact" doneness due to sous vide.  Bottom line: a great tool that brings my cooking capabilities to a new level but nothing so dramatic as going from a gasser ot a BGE.

Perfectly said. I would go with the circulator Nola and Billy Ray have if I were starting over today but I love my Sous Vide Supreme. It's done everything I've ever needed and it has performed perfectly every time.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GrannyX4 said:
    I am getting ready to jump on the Sous Vide band wagon but I have some questions before I take the giant leap. Is everyone happy with their machine? Do you like the results of the cooks? If you had it to do over would you buy the same machine? TFJ's chicken with the meat glue pushed me to the edge.

Who-hoo! I love costing people forum dollars! Cha-Ching!
  • Is there a site out there that discounts them?   Other than ebay.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2012
    I originally purchased the Sous Vide Supreme, but returned it for the Poly Science Chef. Thanks nola and Cen for the suggestion! :)

After doing quite a bit of research, I'm pretty happy with my decision. 30L>11L plus I really like that the water will circulate better with this unit. This unit is very versatile. Very eager to play with it. I'm learning a ton about this technique and seeing a bunch of recipes I want to try in Modernist Cuisine.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy said:
    I originally purchased the Sous Vide Supreme, but returned it for the Poly Science Chef. Thanks nola and Cen forthw suggestion! :) After doing quite a bit of research, I'm pretty happy with my decision. 30L>11L plus I really like that the water will circulate better with this unit. Very eager to play with it. I'm learning a ton about this technique and seeing a bunch of recipes I want to try in Modernist Cuisine.

I'm convinced there is no better way to cook chicken breast out there.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I love the Polyscience Professional.  It's commercial duty, so I know I'll probably never break it.  I like, given we're low on counter space, it has a carrying/storage case that I can zipper it up in and store while I'm not using it.  I usually run it in an Igloo 40 quart cooler on the back deck, so it's not even taking up space in the kitchen.  It's about as loud as our Bosch diswasher, which is not very loud.  The screen displays actual and set point temps and it's lit up in a nice blue so you can glance at it any time of day or night and make sure it's on temp.  It has safety features - auto shutoff if water gets to low or if the temp goes too high.

It holds it's value (try to buy a used one), and even though it's pricy, it'll be the last one you ever buy.  And it's fully servicable.
    edited December 2012
    get the one Cazzy got. If i remember right, he got the step down from Nola's but it does almost everything the same. Can't go wrong with either. Burr- you'll love the way those stripers (one P) cook up in a SV cooker. I believe fish and chicken are the 2 best things you can do SV. It produces etherial textures and they are bursting with moisture. Something special about fish and chicken done SV.
  • nolaegghead
    Cazzy got the one I got that retails for $800.  You're thinking of this one http://cuisinetechnology.com/sousvide-creative.php

It's $500 versus 800.  It's just as good, smaller pump, but the pump is way overpowered on the expensive model.  Same heating power. 
    I got the Chef series ($800 retail) for $562 shipped at eBay. It's new, just doesn't come with the bag or cookbook.
  • Cazzy got the one I got that retails for $800.  You're thinking of this one http://cuisinetechnology.com/sousvide-creative.php

It's $500 versus 800.  It's just as good, smaller pump, but the pump is way overpowered on the expensive model.  Same heating power. 

yep- that's the one i was thinking. I would do that one for sure. You really don't need a lot of circulation. Mine does not have any and I have never had anything come out of it that was not perfectly cooked (I overcooked a few things here and there but that was just experimentation and the cooker did exactly as it was told).
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Thank you all for all the help. I like Gdenby unit and price but I am leaning toward the Polyscience creative series. The two thing's stopping me was that it was made in China and I wondered if I would like the texture of the food. After seeing TFJ's chicken I think I'm ready to bite the bullet. I need more ways to fix chicken and fish. Thank's again.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited December 2012
    GrannyX4 said:
    Thank you all for all the help. I like Gdenby unit and price but I am leaning toward the Polyscience creative series. The two thing's stopping me was that it was made in China and I wondered if I would like the texture of the food. After seeing TFJ's chicken I think I'm ready to bite the bullet. I need more ways to fix chicken and fish. Thank's again.

the short brine and cooking it SV was magic. Juice just poured out and it was so velvety. crazy good texture and taste. Let us know when you get it and we'll get you set up
  • GrannyX4
    I did it.  Bit the bullet and cringed a little.  The kit will ship on Feb 13th.  Happy V Day to me. 
  • cazzy
    edited December 2012
    Sweet! You will love Modernist Cuisine too! I need to get me a polycarbonate container. Grats Granny!
  • cazzy
    That kit is actually a good price so don't cringe too much Granny!
  • nolaegghead
    Very nice!  You dove in head first.  First thing I cooked SV was eggs, no vacuum bag required.  I think you're going to have a lot of fun with this. 

Cazzy, on their facebook page was a promo code for 10% off.  It's still a hefty price for a stupid water bath.

Nola, eggs are on my list also.  I have time to get some Canadian bacon made for eggs benedict.

• nolaegghead
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, it ain't cheap.  But you're stepping it up a notch.  Think of all the poor souls cooking hamburger helper and shake-n-bake chicken.  If they want stuff as good as you can make via SV techniques, they'll have to go out and pay a couple of hundred bucks at a high end restaurant.
    edited December 2012
    $535...even better!

Alot of money but I doubt you'll regret it. Hopefully, they charge you now so you'll forget about the coin by February.

I drop alot of money on toys, but I see the money I spend every day. My friends drop alot of coin on beer and cigarettes, but they pee and exhale their vices away.

• GrannyX4 said:
    I did it.  Bit the bullet and cringed a little.  The kit will ship on Feb 13th.  Happy V Day to me. 
    where did you buy yours?
  • cazzy

GrannyX4 said:

where did you buy yours?

Based on when the ship date is, she bought it direct from PolyScience:

http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/sousvide-at-home.php
  • cazzy said:

GrannyX4 said:
    where did you buy yours?
    Based on when the ship date is, she bought it direct from PolyScience: http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/sousvide-at-home.php
    where is that 10% off coupon?
  • cazzy

cazzy said:

GrannyX4 said:

where did you buy yours?
    Based on when the ship date is, she bought it direct from PolyScience:

http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/sousvide-at-home.php

where is that 10% off coupon?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • GrannyX4
    Yep,  that's where I bought it.  Promo code is on their facebook page under photos.  It's a red and green Christmas ad with a promo code FBPSC10K good until Dec 31.  It's a little scary because they don't take it off in your shopping cart, you have to wait for the conformation email for the discount to show up and I haven't gotten one yet.
  • nolaegghead
    They're very reputable, if that makes you feel better.  They've been making commercial laboratory equipment for a long time, our company's been buying it for years.  Once cooks realized food is made of chemicals and they started looking at cooking techniques a little differently, a market opened up for lab equipment in the kitchen.  Polyscience has been making the kind of stuff that crossed over.