Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Attempt at low and slow.

BBQ-Big Green Egg Style. A brisket and a pork shoulder marinated and rubbed with my homemade concoctions. Now onto the BGE for 10 plus hours at 225-250 degrees. Used some Cherry and Hickory wood chips.

I've had my medium since July and this is my first attempt using the BGE as a smoker. Made a homemade extended rack using a grill grate from Weber and some hardware. A tight fit in the medium. The brisket is pretty close to the temp. probe in the dome. Not too sure about the accuracy. It's about 220 now and holding there. Would like to hit 250 but not budging about 2 hours in. Any suggestions? I don't have a guru or anything. Thanks 

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Likewise a medium owner. My guess is that w. that much meat in there, the still cool meat is influencing the dome therm reading. If your vent settings are where you would ordinarily get 250-ish, let it go for several hours. As the meat shrinks and heats, the temp should rise. Perhaps even too much.

My experience w. a really full Egg is that if I open the vents wider early one, once the temperature climbs, it goes past where I want it, and stays there. If I need to speed things, opening the vents wider later in the cook seems to offer more control.
  • Egghead_Joel
    Egghead_Joel Posts: 23
    edited December 2012
    Makes sense to me. It's about 235 now in 3 hours.
  • My fire lowered to 180 and after repeated tries to get it higher using a propane torch I gave up. Finished it up in the oven and it turned out great. Might have to give Wicked Good a go next time.
    I ran into trouble when I was poking the fire with a skewer trying to get the temp a bit higher.
  • You probably needed to add more lump. I find that brands that are smaller pieces do not stay hot as long as the higher quality stuff. Pic looks great though!
    Chester County, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,081
    For the future-if you need to get more room you can use a wine cork (hole drilled thru it) and insert your dome thermo thru the cork and then into the BGE.  Buys you about a 1/2" or so of additional clearance and still yields correct readings. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    For the future-if you need to get more room you can use a wine cork (hole drilled thru it) and insert your dome thermo thru the cork and then into the BGE.  Buys you about a 1/2" or so of additional clearance and still yields correct readings. FWIW-
    Thanks sounds like I will try that in the future. When I first started out the probe from the thermo was buried in the meat. I had to reposition the meat.