Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Travis Method, but the brisket too long for large egg

The brisket selection at the butcher today was slim.  The smallest they had was 14 lbs.  In typical fashion I thought "Hey, I can make it work".  My plan is to do the Travis Method, but the whole packer is 22" long.  Photo attached...  Do you brisket experts recommend I separate the point and flat?  Or should I cram it in the pan, bending if necessary?  

Any guidance is much appreciated!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think it's fine - just make sure the flat is in the juice on the bottom of the pan. the big point side always cooks tender, it can hang over.  So, in that picture, you'd move the brisket a bit to the right.
    Do you have something you can put in the pan to initially elevate/drape it over til the cold weather/hot BGE shrinkage factor  kicks in...just a thought as I can never find a packer.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Bend it like Beckham   :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Zooker
    Zooker Posts: 17
    I trimmed it down and got it into a 17" pan.  With a little bending of the pan it fits in the egg.  Since its a big one, I bought some extra Allegro.  Brown beer and chopped onion are ready to go.  I made a rub of coarse salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika.

One more questions for those who are inclined to help me out.  @Travisstrick since I'm following your process, any wisdom?

I want to slice it and package portions to five friends as a belated Christmas gift along with some sides and au jus.  Is this advisable with brisket?  If so, is it best for me to bring the whole thing to a complete cool down before slicing, or wrap it for a couple hours, slice it warm and package it with the juices?

If this thing doesn't work out its 50 bucks down the drain, but the best learning experiences are rarely cheap.

Thanks!
  • Don't slice. Just cut off a hunk big enough for your friends and let them slice when they are ready. I doubt it matters when you make the cuts. I would maybe do it at a Luke warm temp.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Zooker
    thanks @Travisstrick.  That's what I'll do.  I refrigerated it overnight and am getting the egg stabilized at the moment.  Will post pics... 

After I foil wrap it in the cooler for an hour or two, I was thinking of vacuum sealing it and dropping it in an ice bath to get it through the danger zone before cutting it up.  Of course it may be 3 am by that time...

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    So how did it go? That last pick looked almost like sweet potatoes with marshmallows on it.
  • Zooker
    edited December 2012
    Been on for 7 hours. Temp is stubbornly holding at 275-295. I'll post some pics when it's done at 3am. Hoping it doesn't look like a thanksgiving side dish by then...
  • Zooker
    edited December 2012
    Time to open my vent a little...This is my first and last time using Royal Oak. Despite filling the box completely to the top, I was almost completely burned down after 8.5 hours at 275. Pulled the brisket off, covered and reloaded with lump. Definitely going back to Wicked Weekend Warrior after this experience. This Royal Oak is like balsa. No pieces in the bag bigger than my fist. Most were long and skinny.
  • Zooker said:
    Time to open my vent a little...This is my first and last time using Royal Oak. Despite filling the box completely to the top, I was almost completely burned down after 8.5 hours at 275. Pulled the brisket off, covered and reloaded with lump. Definitely going back to Wicked Weekend Warrior after this experience. This Royal Oak is like balsa. No pieces in the bag bigger than my fist. Most were long and skinny.

what's your outside temp?????
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Zooker
    Zooker said:

what's your outside temp?????

It's 33F here in Peachtree City, GA
  • Zooker said:
    Zooker said:
    seems really weird. i don't use RO but it's the same as BGE and I used that plenty of times back in the day. at 33 ambient temp it should last much longer than that. hmmmm what's your outside temp?????

It's 33F here in Peachtree City, GA

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Zooker said:
    I've been a RO user for the last 150 + bags. The burn time went from 24+ hours to maybe 12 hours (250°). I hope they fix their quality. I'm putting on 2 butts tonight and will be trying Wicked Good for the first time. 

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• bigguy136 said:
    Zooker said:
    I've been a RO user for the last 150 + bags. The burn time went from 24+ hours to maybe 12 hours (250°). I hope they fix their quality. I'm putting on 2 butts tonight and will be trying Wicked Good for the first time. 

wow.
  • Is $3.50/# for a packer common for you guys? I'd like to cook more brisket, but my butcher shop has them at $5/#. Tough to summon he courage to spend ~$70 on something I'm still not confident in. I love my butcher shop, but I think they're skinning anyone buying packer briskets.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Zooker
    edited December 2012
    Is $3.50/# for a packer common for you guys? I'd like to cook more brisket, but my butcher shop has them at $5/#. Tough to summon he courage to spend ~$70 on something I'm still not confident in. I love my butcher shop, but I think they're skinning anyone buying packer briskets.

Cheers -
    B_B

The local grocery chains down here (fayette county, ga) usually price packers well over $4/lb, but we do have a transplanted NY butcher who has choice grade angus briskets for $3 something... I think I paid $3.29/lb. This sucker Im smoking now was still 50 bucks. Thats a lot for a piece of meat you have to cook yourself. I'm starting to see that this egg habit is as expensive as a weekly golf habit!
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I'm in MN and I pay $3.19 for CAB Packer.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Zooker
    I took it off.  Was showing 210 in the flat and 200 in the point.  The thermometer slid in and out of the flat like butta', but the point gave a bit of resistance.  Too early???  I didn't want to the flat to dry out and thought that the point may be more forgiving.

My briskets aren't level in height like others I see on the forum which I'm a bit confused about. I trimmed some fat, but didn't want to cut enough meat away to level it for an even cook.  I did point the point toward the back of the egg. 

She's now FTC'd. 

So, anyway, enough of the disclaimers.  Here are the pics...  I'm not the fine art photographer that some of the folks on this forum are... but hey, It's "proof"!  And I want critique that will help me improve this art.

Will also post the cut pics.

I'm beginning to see that the egg is an insomniac's dream...
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Looks delicious. I would eat that in a heart beat.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Point usually finishes before the flat, if the flat's done, it's done.
    Taken around 1AM after a 2 hour TFC.  I then cut it in half, vacuum sealed it and put it in an ice bath overnight so it could get quickly through the danger zone (I'm interested in people's opinions on that), and less importantly so I could go to bed. 

This pic is a cut so I could seal it.  Each half barely fit into the bags.  I realized after the fact that I didn't cut it in half very perpendicular to the grain, so I'll have to recut when I slice it.  Has a decent ring like Travis said. 

I received a kitchen meat slicer for Christmas which I'm glad to have to cut this brisket in a cold state.  The plan is to vacuum seal 1 lb portions for some friends (some of whom chipped in to buy me the egg this year for my 40th).  Sides are some rolls shipped down here from NYC and amish style macaroni salad (family thing).  I could use another good idea for a side if anyone has a suggestion.

This has been fun, but I'll be keeping my eye out for 10 lb briskets from now on.