Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket for XL

Can anyone lead me in the right direction to purchase rutland for my xl egg. Just removed OEM gasket and wanting to replace soon  so I can get back to cooking

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You can still cook, lots of people cook without having gaskets for years.

You need about 10' for an XL.

I might be wrong on that length.  You might get away with 7'.  I'd look it up.
  • I'd use Nomex. Rutland is fine for my air tight wood stove, best gasket made. Lots of eggers use them on eggs, but then again, lots of folks smoke knowing it will kill you. Rutland gaskets are not made to be food safe, Nomex is. The Rutland is cheaper (market price) than a Nomex, so you have to ask, why would BGE choose Nomex over Rutland? To each his own, good luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  •  I put a Rutland on mine , and like it.
     90% of what I cook on the egg is bad for me. I still eat it.
     Ace Hardware sells the Rutland by the foot off a big roll , so you can get 1 long piece , and only have 1 seam.

• I ended up using 94 inches on my XL.  The prepackaged kits you can buy at hardware stores aren't long enough for the XL.  There's a fellow egger named Ron (RRP) who will sell you the correct length (I assume he's still selling them).  You can contact him through the "old BGE board" and maybe this board too, not sure.  When applied with Permatex Ultra Cooper, it'll be the last gasket you'll ever need to install.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• They say rutland is not ok for food, yet it is used in most ovens as the gasket. The reason they say it isn't great for the egg is that the lid of the egg is raised above the food and can get on the food. To remedie this, install the rutland on the bottom ring, there is no reason not to.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    edited December 2012

I ended up using 94 inches on my XL.  The prepackaged kits you can buy at hardware stores aren't long enough for the XL.  There's a fellow egger named Ron (RRP) who will sell you the correct length (I assume he's still selling them).  You can contact him through the "old BGE board" and maybe this board too, not sure.  When applied with Permatex Ultra Cooper, it'll be the last gasket you'll ever need to install.

What I got at ace was not a kit. It was sold off a roll like rope by the foot. You can buy however many feet you want.