Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Help Needed

JHazard
JHazard Posts: 18
Hello EggHeaders! I'm going to do my first pork shoulder (7lbs) this weekend and need some advice. I would like to make tacos with it when I'm done. Anyone have good marinade ideas? Good dry rub ideas? Also, please send cook advice. I'd really like to do this very low and slow so please send you cook times and dome temp recommendations.. Thank you in advance for the great advice!

Comments

• About 250-275 on thermo until 195-205 internal. That'll get ya meat done. As far as rub, options unlimited. I use a store bought more often that not. Post pics. It easier than you can imagine to make amazing pulled pork.
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2012
    If you're gonna do tacos, it might be fun to use, as a rub, cumin, oregano, garlic, some kinda chili, and maybe some lime powder like this http://www.fiestaspices.com/index.asp?page=chililime

And salt, and if you want a little sweetness, some agave syrup (I dunno it that'll be any better or worse than any other sweetener, but you can brag about it)...
    About 250-275 on thermo until 195-205 internal. That'll get ya meat done. As far as rub, options unlimited. I use a store bought more often that not. Post pics. It easier than you can imagine to make amazing pulled pork.

There's that word amazing again.

I did 2 pork butts 7-1/2 lbs. each on Tuesday. I for us and 1 for a good friend. He came over after work and picked his up. I had it FTC ready to go. He called that night and used the word amazing about a dozen times. Seasoned with Texas Rub Co. Grand Champion. The next day he had his son over for some more of the butt. His son is a gourmet chef and called as he was eating it. He only used the word amazing 6 times. I think I've got 2 more Egg converts. Cooked at about 325 for 7 hours.

:)) :))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Thanks guys. Nola and fan recommended 250-275 and Billy said 325, what's better? Are all of you good with a pound per hour?
  • nolaegghead
    Depends on what you like and how much time you have.  The hotter you cook pork, the more bacon/ham taste it has.  If you like that or need it done sooner, cook hotter.  If you want a milder flavor, or something neutral you're gonna build on, lower and slower.   I'm just making most of this up, but that's my working theory.
    JHazard said:
    Thanks guys. Nola and fan recommended 250-275 and Billy said 325, what's better? Are all of you good with a pound per hour?
    An hour per lb. would need a temp. of 325 or so.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • If you can find a couple of bottles of mojo crillo and marinate it it will have more of a Spanish taste. If you can't use lemon and lime juice, orange juice, garlic, cumin, salt pepper and cilantro with some olive oil. Best to foil the butt when it's in the plateau.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    or mojo marinade

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    jeepers! I didn't see your post
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    JHazard said:
    Little Steven, what does "in the plateau" mean?
    When you pull it. Somewhere between 195-205. Pull it off and wrap it with foil, a towel, and put it in a cooler for an hour.
  • Crazy! Never heard of that. Done!
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    You can actually let it sit in a cooler like that for, I think, up to 5 hours and it will stay nice and warm. I've done 3 hours myself and it was piping hot.
  • Add about 1/2 cup of lemon juice to the mojo, it really takes it up a notch. If possible inject the  $h!t out of it. We did a pig a few years back with this and it turned out great. Let us know how it comes out. 

• It came out flavorful, but it didn't fall apart. I cooked it around 225-275 ( tempurature ranged the final four hours) for about 8 plus hours until the thermometer hit 190. Again, flavor was great, but it was a little tough and didn't just fall apart. Is this over done? Too slow a cook? Some other fail? I smoke ribs before and didn't achieve the " fall off the bone" either. Their flavor was spot on as we'll. please help!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    At those temps., you need to cook longer. It was under cooked. I pull at 195 to 205 after checking for tenderness with some kind of probe. The two I did the other day were 7-1/2 lbs. each and at 325 took 7 hours, at which time the bone pulled out nice and clean.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    I like to get to 200F, AND, go by the loosey-goosey feel of the temp probe. If the temp probe doesn't glide in nicely wait another five degrees!
  • So it's better to smoke around 300? Guys mentioned that above, but I thought true smoking was low 200's. Mehta do y'all do ribs at?
  • I cook at 275-300. The egg is different and I feel puts out better food at these temps. It's still true smoking. I promise :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Just did my first butt at 250 degrees and the internal temp was 195.  It smoked for 11 hours and 15 minutes.  It was fantastic.
  • Rock, did you have any trouble holding the temp? Did your charcoal last the whole time? When smoking that long do you light the fire in two spots?
  • JHazard said:
    Rock, did you have any trouble holding the temp? Did your charcoal last the whole time? When smoking that long do you light the fire in two spots?
    JHazard - No trouble holding the temp at all and the charcoal lasted the entire time.  Make sure you use a good coal like Wicked Good or Green Egg.  I use an electric element starter to start the fire. I get it going in the center - and let the DIGIQ do the rest.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I cooked a 9 lb butt a while back. Dome temp of 275 for 17hrs. Used wicked good weekend warrior lump. Temp was steady the entire time. Pulled at 205 internal. Best butt I ever made! Love the LBGE!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • I did 2- 8.5 lbs buts for xmas dinner, smoked them at 250-275 dome, for about 10 hrs. Then I hit the stall!! 159 for 2 hrs. I had 2 hrs to get these butts done. so i wraped them in foil and putt a little apple juice in with them and 2 hours 200 internal temp. The butt's rested for about 1 hour, With one cut of the knife they just fell apart. MMMMMMM, goood!!!!!!! 12-13 hrs total cooking time. I use cowboy 100% natural hardwood, and a mix of apple and hickory chunks.