Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Water Pan?

My wife & daughter know how much I love smoking meats on my Egg, so they bought me a book for Christmas - "Low & Slow" by Gary Wiviott. So I started thumbing through the book and realized that the vast majority of what he's talking about is for the Weber Smokey Mountain. But, some of the stuff, including the recipes will still work on the Egg.

Evidently, the WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain) has a built in water pan. Gary goes on and on about how important this is, and suggest that every smoker/grill should have one, to help with moisture. I've never used one with my Egg, and my meats have consistently come out pretty moist. But I thought I'd check with the community, and see what folks think about them, and if any of you use them. What's been your experience?

He also talks about spritzing/spraying meats with various mixtures of liquids, during cooking. This is something else that I've never done. My guess is that it's not going to be very effective for keeping the meats moist, especially if there's a good bark on it. 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The egg creates a moist cooking environment without a water pan.  A water pan is a giant "cool spot" in the egg - water isn't going to get over 212F and if you're trying to cook at 250 or 300, that slows down the cooking rate.
    edited December 2012
    I never used a water pan or water in my Eggs. The only things in 6 years I have spritzed is ribs and  not all of them.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    The egg naturally keeps the moisture loss to a minimum - no need for a water pan unless you are using it as a barrier to direct heat below a cook.  I spritz when doing car wash Mike's ribs or for adding flavor not moisture.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• nolaegghead
    Spritzing now and then at the beginning of a smoke helps develop a smoke ring.  It also can wash off your rub if you're not careful.

I might try a gentle spritz in the beginning, to see what that does for me.

Thanks all!
  • I spritz my ribs with a mixture of cider vinegar and the rub I'm using. Otherwise no water pan for me.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • I use the water pan to catch fat drippings from hitting the plate setter and turning to grease smoke.  Not sure if adds any moisture to the food. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Several of you guys have talked about spritzing ... what kind of spritzer are you using? A spray bottle? An empty mustard bottle? Syrup bottle? Does it make a difference?
  • nolaegghead
    Sam's club sells a 6 pack of commercial sprayers.  They hold up well and the stream is adjustable.
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I use the water pan to catch fat drippings from hitting the plate setter and turning to grease smoke.  Not sure if adds any moisture to the food. 
    I use salt and works fine.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• no water, no spritz. Ever

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    edited December 2012
    Not related to the water question but to the drip pan itself-when you protect whatever you use to create the indirect cooking environment (platesetter, stone, fire bricks etc) make sure you create an air gap between the deflector and the pan (empty or not) as that eliminates the burnt offerings during the cook.  Use bge feet, smashed empty beer cans, washer stack, etc-you get the idea.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.