Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Post your Christmas score!!

Comments

• Also I scored a large BGE with nest, a platesetter, 2 BGE pizza stones (whoops), a BGE charcoal starter, ash tool, grill gripper and red thermapen.

Now need to purchase:
    welder's gloves, bbq gloves, bear claw, third hand, charcoal, meat, BGE cover, maverick, AR or swing grate, weed burner and more meat.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2012
    @Eggcelsior @nolaegghead

I definitely appreciate the advice y'all have given me!

I bought a slickdeal from B&H that came with a 18-135 STM 3.5-5.6 and and a 40mm 2.8 STM pancake lense. for a $100 more, I added a 55-250 but i really dont like it. It is in fact a EF-S so that makes sense. It retails for $299 so if i get my $100 back off of CL, i'll be happy. Every told me about the nifty fifty so I picked that up. It's a 1.8 but i really think i want the 1.4 cause I do alot of indoor shooting.

The 40mm does have a purpose, i just dont like it as much as the 50mm. The 2 STM lenses are great for video, but i've just found i like the auto focus speed of the 50mm better. It's probably been my favorite thus far.

The one lense that is on my target list is the Sigma 105mm Macro lense. I'm going to borrow my cousins before I buy it though. I also am looking at the lenses you and Nola recommended.

I definitely like being the zoom and it's been my approach since go. I've watch a lot of tutorials, especially ones from Fro Knows Photo...really like him.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    The wife, who got me the Egg last year, got me an Auber temp control this year. She said it cost about half what the name brands were listing. I used it on a four-butt (two-ass?) cook the other day and it worked great. I have a great wife! No "SWMBO" here!
  • cazzy
    @NEWB_IN_NOLA @Eggcellsior

I'll look into Paradigm and JTR and go have a listen. As mentioned, I'm very fond of horns. I think it was force fed into me as I grew up with a pair of Klipsch La Scalas in my living room.

I can be swayed though so we shall see.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @cazzy - if you're into horns, take a look at avantgarde acoustic. I think that's all they make.  Stuff has insane efficiencies - in the range of 109 dB 1 meter 1 watt 1KHz.

http://www.avantgarde-acoustic.com/trio-product-en.html

@cazzy - if you're into horns, take a look at avantgarde acoustic. I think that's all they make.  Stuff has insane efficiencies - in the range of 109 dB 1 meter 1 watt 1KHz.

They look flipping sweet!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I use a sigma 50mm 1.4 on my old xti and it takes amazing photos. I had the canon 1.8 and it was fun but not even in the same ballpak as the sigma. I really want the canon 18-200 for every day use.
  • cazzy said:

They look flipping sweet!
    They make great stuff.......but prepare to spend 30 grand or so to get a "starter" set of speakers.   I I'm totally into the high efficiency stuff myself.  I'm using 300b's with about 8 watts per channel.  Very , very sweet.
  • nolaegghead
    rustypotts  Are you driving them with a tube amp?  I'm torn between getting a tube amp and a good class AB.
    Holy crap - ten foot cables?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Failed to mention I run a Denon AVR-3805 and old school Bose 701s (prolly 30 years old and still rockin')..

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• rustypotts  Are you driving them with a tube amp?  I'm torn between getting a tube amp and a good class AB.
    Nola......My speakers are fairly efficient at 94 db but are designed to be driven by SET amps.  My power amp has the 300B tubes.  It is driven by a pre-amp using 311B's which is very unusual.  With the 8 watts I can only turn the volume up to about 40% and I have a fairly large room, 15 x 24.  I also have an integrated hybrid amp which is class A/AB  with a tubed input stage and a MOFSET output stage.  This is also a sweet amp for the money.  There is a synergy between certain speakers and certain amps.  This is the fun part......and also the frustrating part of the hobby.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Griffin said:
    Food related I got an AR oval combo, and electric meat slicer and an LEM 5# Vertical sausage stuffer. I also got some square rocks that you are supposed to freeze and put in your drink so you don't water it down.

I Got those stones also, they work well for Scotch.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

I got me a Food Saver, Brand new Red Racer Thermapen, quite an assortment of alcohol and Wine.

And the Wife got me a new Martin guitar. Will post Pictures of it later since I cant put it down.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    It was cool to see how many Eggheads are into Audio, and photography.
    I would like to mention another forum that I'm an active member on, www.theaudioannex.com  I met most of these guys on the forum sponsored by Sound & Vision magazine, but that site always had a lot of problems.  One member finally set up, on his own nickel, The Audio Annex and most of us migrated to it.
    While Home Theater is the main thrust, we have a lot of Off Topic sections (something that's kind've frowned on here) including photography, cars, guns, bourbon, computers & tech, food & wine, movies and music, and even politics and NSFW sections.
    Members host "GTG's", or Get-togethers, a couple times each year, and I've already been to one in Maryland and one in Houston (I think spending a few days with forum members enriches the experience so much, and makes you interested in discussing things beyond Home Theater).  I haven't been to an Eggfest yet, but I imagine a similar camaraderie develops there.   
    One caveat:  we don't really have any members of what I call the "audiophile religion", folks that swear by $12,000, battery-polarized speaker cables, etc; in fact most agree that its hard if not impossible to hear differences between power amps (we do have lots of expensive speakers, and guys who've built their own high-end turntables and IB subwoofers, etc).  And make sure to check out the "Batcave" in the HT section!   
    Anyhoo, check out the site if you're so inclined, we welcome new folks!   

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• TUTTLE871 said:

I got me a Food Saver, Brand new Red Racer Thermapen, quite an assortment of alcohol and Wine.

And the Wife got me a new Martin guitar. Will post Pictures of it later since I cant put it down.

Ooh. What kind of Martin?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Botch said:
    I would like to mention another forum that I'm an active member on, www.theaudioannex.com  I met most of these guys on the forum sponsored by Sound & Vision magazine, but that site always had a lot of problems.  One member finally set up, on his own nickel, The Audio Annex and most of us migrated to it.
    While Home Theater is the main thrust, we have a lot of Off Topic sections (something that's kind've frowned on here) including photography, cars, guns, bourbon, computers & tech, food & wine, movies and music, and even politics and NSFW sections.
    Members host "GTG's", or Get-togethers, a couple times each year, and I've already been to one in Maryland and one in Houston (I think spending a few days with forum members enriches the experience so much, and makes you interested in discussing things beyond Home Theater).  I haven't been to an Eggfest yet, but I imagine a similar camaraderie develops there.   
    One caveat:  we don't really have any members of what I call the "audiophile religion", folks that swear by $12,000, battery-polarized speaker cables, etc; in fact most agree that its hard if not impossible to hear differences between power amps (we do have lots of expensive speakers, and guys who've built their own high-end turntables and IB subwoofers, etc).  And make sure to check out the "Batcave" in the HT section!   

I so wish we had a NSFW area. My god I used an abbreviated pg13 phrase on a troll on here and the "this is a family forum" lynch mob came out. Cuz you know all the kids who run 700 degree bbq rigs might be offended and all.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Makes spatchcocking a chicken a breeze.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead

I so wish we had a NSFW area. My god I used an abbreviated pg13 phrase on a troll on here and the "this is a family forum" lynch mob came out. Cuz you know all the kids who run 700 degree bbq rigs might be offended and all.

I love to cuss.  Wish we had that too.  

TUTTLE871 said:

Got a Martin Dreadnaught, sound is incredible out of it.
    She almost got me a Taylor but decided on the Martin. I'm glad she did.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

733102243 Posts: 38
    edited December 2012

For Christmas: Among other things; a Stoker.

Doesn't want to connect with my WPA secured Dlink wifi system. Though it WILL connect to the 'guest' network with WEP but I can't punch a hole and route to the Guest Network... Maybe if I use an old Linksys for the Stoker? I should be able to route to it... No way I'm going back to WEP for the entire network.

I like the open source implementation and Stokerlog etc. So, that's why I took a leap of faith. Also, I try to support businesses in California. We need all the help we can get. FTB anyone?

That said. I work 50 hours a week managing a couple of small biz networks - do I REALLY want to spend Christmas and New Years Troubleshooting WPA implementation for $0.00?

Nice build quality and features but marginal support. Hmmm - a conundrum.There's something funky with Stoker's WPA implementation or the way Dlink expects to see WPA keys. I have 25-30 devices on my network and the D-link router is the most inclusive network device I have found yet. With this many devices - switching routers is an ordeal that I don't care to to face just yet.

• TUTTLE871 said:
    TUTTLE871 said:

Got a Martin Dreadnaught, sound is incredible out of it. She almost got me a Taylor but decided on the Martin. I'm glad she did.
    oh yes you are. I have a martin Custom dreadnaught and I'll put it up against anything. Love it.

• henapple
    Score #2....Cmmg mk3...
  • cazzy
    henapple said:

Score #2....Cmmg mk3...

Nice rifle! Congrats!
  • henapple
    cazzy said:

henapple said:

Score #2....Cmmg mk3...

Nice rifle! Congrats!
    Now to find mags and ammo...good luck, uh?

• Botch said:
    Botch......in my system there is an significant difference between cables as well as power amps.  Different tubes make a huge difference in the flavor of the sound.  I've read many comments on various boards that "you can't tell a difference in cables", etc.  This has not been the case with me. 
  • TUTTLE871 said:
    TUTTLE871 said:

Got a Martin Dreadnaught, sound is incredible out of it. She almost got me a Taylor but decided on the Martin. I'm glad she did.
    oh yes you are. I have a martin Custom dreadnaught and I'll put it up against anything. Love it.

"65 D-18 here.......
  • TUTTLE871 said:
    TUTTLE871 said:

"65 D-18 here.......

great guitar. lucky guy
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    I'm running the Klipsh RF-7's w/ the Denon 3806 and the neighbors (and wife) don't like.