Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Egg Cooks

Options

Being new, you guys say if there are no pics it didn't happen, so here are my first couple of Green Egg experiences.

First run was a Choice ribeye.  I actually got this at Wal-Mart believe it or not.  Since starting to sell Choice beef, Wal-Mart has bought up a lot of it out there in the market place.  I bought this ribeye about 3 weeks ago for $5.95/lb.  At the time, the USDA market on Choice ribeye was around $6.90/lb.  Not sure exactly how they're pulling it off, but pretty sweet deal and it ate fantastic.  I did it at 300* and pulled at 138* internal temp.  It rested for about 15 minutes before slicing.  Seasoned with a light coat of oil, salt, pepper.  I like to keep it simple.

Next is some Choice bone-in chuck short ribs.  These were cut from the rack into 1/3s perpendicular to the bone.  You can have a good local butcher do this for you.  What you get is about a 3.5-4" wide piece, with 4 bones.  Cook them whole, then cut and you have one bone riblets basically.  Pretty cool for an appetizer, but used as main course in this instance.  I consulted with Ray Lampe via twitter and he instructed me to cook these up to about 200*, but ensure tenderness before pulling off.  I actually got them up to about 215*. 

Last but not least was Christmas day.  Whole beef tenderloin trimmed.  Cooked around 315* egg temp to 135* internal temp.  Again, just an oil, salt, pepper seasoning.  This guy annihilated the ribeye and the short ribs.

Has anyone ever cooked the spinalis muscle (ribeye cap) by itself on their egg?

- EAT BEEF -

Comments