Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got a Wok - Need first easy recipe to try

Options
I got a CS WOK to help with cooking "Healthy" for Xmas.

I am looking for a simple sure fire recipe to try this out.

I am thinking this and let me know if I need to change anything.

Ingredients
chicken cutlets cut up into 1 inch pieces salt/pepper
broccoli, carrots, green beans or similar cut up to 1 inch pieces

Cooking
get egg to ~400.
Add wok to egg to heat up - add some oil (type?)
add some garlic and some ginger maybe?
close the lower vent (almost all the way sine the top will be up?)
cook chicken moving it around until all sides appear cooked.
remove chicken and add vegetables for a few minutes
add chicken back in
add soy and possible rice wine and cook for a few more minutes?
serve

Now since the WOK is now scorching hot after the cook do I clean it with water and the brush on the Egg and leave it there while shutting the Egg down or remove the wok before shutting the Egg down?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited December 2012
    Options
    You've got the idea. Here's my favorite way: Slice 2-3 chicken breast at a thin diagonal angle creating wide thin slices instead of chunks. Season with a couple tablespoons of soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder. Set aside. Slice up your veggies, I like Bok Choy, carrots and onions in about 1 inch pieces. Prepare your sauce: I use about a half cup of Reduced Salt soy sauce, a tablespoon of hoisan sauce, 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar. 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 4 cloves fresh crushed/minced garlic, .5-1 teaspoon fresh chopped ginger. I add a squirt of Sriracha for a little heat. Teaspoon of corn starch and whisk it all together. I like to do more of a Lo Mein so you can try this step or omit. Boil Lo Mein (or spaghetti noodles) to nice al dente, set aside. Now you have all your separate main ingredients ready, get your egg up to temp 400-500 should be fine but once that lid is opened it'll get as hot as it wants to. I leave bottom vent CLOSED (edit) at this point. Remember stir-fry is fast and furious so have everything at hand. Set your wok on your ring, and let it get hot. A seasoned wok will begin to smoke just very faintly when it's hot enough. Now add about 2 tbs of vegetable oil, swirl it around add your chicken stirring non stop until just about fully cooked, but not over cooked. Take out the chicken, add a bit more oil, and throw on veggies. Stir fry them until cooked but still crispy. When the veggies are almost done, add your noodles now if using them. Now stir in the sauce (also helps break apart the noodles that stick together) and re-add the cooked chicken, stirring all the while. Once everything looks cooked and delicious then remove it quickly and serve. The whole cooking process should take only around ten minutes. I clean the wok after cooking but you can do whatever is convenient. I add a bunch of water to the scorching egg and swirl it around breaking off the food particles. A wok brush is perfect. Enjoy
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    For the first few cooks, I'd recommend using some proven recipes.  There are thousands on the web.  To me, the sauce is vital, and it varies greatly depending on the dish.  I can't give you specifics since you want mostly vegetables.  I like mostly meat dishes with a minor in onions, bell peppers, chiles, etc.

However, I'm sure you'll enjoy the recipe you made up.  Post pictures.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I will post pics.  I am trying more veggies in order to "Force" myself to eat more of them since I cant stand most of them.  I am afraid of adding allot of "sauces" as I am trying the "Healthier" side.  Got to try at least before reverting back to ribs, pulled pork and briskets.

Garnerville, NY
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Shrimp..... So very easy

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I love some shrimp and plan on making some - However the significant other does not.

I am hoping to do some single meal cooks on the WOK to get the nag of it then I am going to have WOK day where I make multiple dishes back to back and store/freeze individual portions of various stir-fry's.  I will make some shrimp dishes there for me and chicken, pork, beef for her.

Garnerville, NY
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    It is a noble gesture to freeze homemade wok meals, just be careful that the veggies are lightly cooked as the freezer may harm the texture of the crunchyness.