Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for Kitchen Torch Recommendations

dlk7
dlk7 Posts: 1,053

I'm looking for a kitchen torch that I can brown sous vide beef as well as carmelize sugar for creme brulee.  Anyone have a recommendation?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I have a MAPP torch for starting my BGE and it works great for brulee, sugar coated ham etc.
  • dlk7
    I have a MAPP torch for starting my BGE and it works great for brulee, sugar coated ham etc.
    Does MAP gas leave any after taste like propane?

Waunakee, WI

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Have not noticed an after taste,  but after several single malts who is tasting?
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821

dlk7 said:
    Does MAP gas leave any after taste like propane?

I also use mapp gas to fire up my BGE, it's better than propane due to the fact it burns much hotter so you don't have to keep it on the lump as long. IMO there is no flavor issues with it. I've never tried to brulee with it but I'm sure you can. I have sweated copper with it on plumbing issues though since it does get hot enough to solder. I just went out and looked and mine is a Bernzomatic TS4000. I think it was about 30 bucks. Pull the trigger and it fires up everytime. It has a deadmans button that keeps it in the on position which is perfect for start ups. So I go out pull the trigger, it fires up, hit the button it stays on, shove the nozzle into the base of the lump, grab your beer with your other hand and after about a minute you have fire.

Tim in So cal

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • dlk7

Thanks guys - I picked up the ts8000 with MAP gas earlier this evening.  Used it to start the lump tonight - It was amazingly fast!!!  I'll try it on sous vide steaks in the near future and let you know how it works and whether there is any taste/smell from the MAP gas.

Again - I really appreciate your input.

Waunakee, WI

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    They stopped making actual "MAPP" (methylacetylene-propadiene) gas years ago. The new stuff they call "MAP" (or some similar consumer-tricking name). 

Propane or any of the "MAP" gases are safe to use in a torch for food.  I find propane works just as well for lighting the egg and that's what I've been buying.

I use my torch occationally for searing sous vide stuff - works great.  I have this one dedicated to the egg.  http://www.harborfreight.com/electric-start-propane-torch-91061.html

Those "micro" torches, in my opinion, aren't good for anything except little creme brulee jobs.  They do make some nice ones, but they cost upwards of $50-100.

NOLA,

Thanks for the education. I went out and looked at a couple of bottles I have in the garage and the older one reads MAPP gas and the newer one reads "MAP/PRO, mapp replacement gas" I would have never noticed without your input. There's nothing wrong with propane, I used it for years before I stepped up to mapp. The mapp just burns hotter so it makes starting faster. You can hook propane to a mapp torch but you can't put mapp gas on a propane torch. With all the consumer safety laws here in California I'm suprized we can still buy it. I fully expect to go in to Home depot one day and where the gas bottles were there'll be blister packs with two sticks to rub togather!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Tim in So Cal

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • dlk7

Truly funny video!!!  My wife laughed her a$$ off.  My new TS8000 cranks!!!

Waunakee, WI

• dlk7 said:

Truly funny video!!!  My wife laughed her a$$ off.  My new TS8000 cranks!!!

I like that setup with the hose. Going to go grab me one of those
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX