Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question for small egg owners...

i got a small for christmas and am wondering about pizza stone sizes...not interested in platesetter. I see the woo setup uses a 10" stone on the bottom for indirect setups...my question is with that setup, does the 12" BGE stone work for top stone for cooking breads/pizzas on (basically is there still enough airflow?) or do i need to order a second 10" stone from tom for pizzas? thanks, MQ

Comments

• Quinn, I only cook pizzas on the small or mini.  
    The small set up: 
    small woo with the mini stone on the bottom rack, next the grate, next the mini woo, next another mini stone, next a small bakers cooling rack and finally the the small stone.

This gets the pie high up in the dome (i have to remove the thermometer once the pizza goes in).  
    I find I don't have to have do ballistic temps to cook the pie...usually in the 500-550 range for an 8-12 minute cook.  

I bought the 2 mini stones from amazon and the small stone from Tom at CGS
    (I you don't have a mini woo make one with the strapping used to hang garage door openers)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • thanks....so when you say 'finally the small stone', do you happen to know the diameter of that stone? tom's small is 10" and bge small is 12".
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You did not ask but would advise you to looking into a High Que for the Small. It will make alot of differance.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    You did not ask but would advise you to looking into a High Que for the Small. It will make alot of differance.

yep....already ordered.
  • I do not have a small, a friend does. He cooks at the felt line with a stone that is 12" across, a BGE stone. He also has the High-Que fore grate. I think what Austin is talking about is raising the stone high enough into the dome, the thermo has to be removed. At that height the 12" BGE stone will not fit, it has become a cork in a bottle, no or very restricted air flow. The 10" is the only option.
    Really comes down to what level you want to cook at, I think.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited December 2012
    Quinn, i think the mini stones from Amazon are 8 inches. I can measure them when were get back from vacation.

The other half just informed me that we also cook pizzas in the 450-500 range too....guess who is the most cautious in the family :-))
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hmm..something to think about i guess. i do get my pizzas as high as possible in the dome on my large. thanks. I don't have a mini egg so i won't be buying the mini woo or 8" stones. i'll probably end up getting 10" stones with woo and use bricks to raise higher in dome...
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited December 2012
    Just remember you are much closer to the heat source on the small. The multiple stones and the air space act as an insulator to prevent burning the bottom of the pie (VOE. :-)) )
  • Mickey said:

8.5 inch from Amazon and I cook the same way Joan cooks pizza.

Great minds think a like, eh Mickey. Of course the nuns use to add "fools seldom differ". Since i am not the great mind....that just leaves you

• I have the woo and 2 10" stones from CGS.  I like that set-up and the stones are top notch.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I have the woo and 2 10" stones from CGS.  I like that set-up and the stones are top notch.

pretty sure that's the direction I'm gonna go...i already have 16", 13", and oval stone from CGS so I know of the top notch quality.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    x2 what Fred said. Works great w High Que.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2012

Here is the 12" BGE stone and woo, plenty of airflow....even without the high-que.  The stone is also great as an indirect shield on top of the spider in the large.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• is the ceramic damper cap on the small the same size as large? i just got back from dealer- they assembled and left all loose parts inside egg. i brought home and realized the supplied cap is the same size as my large. Is there supposed to be a smaller cap that fits more snug around the top opening or one size fits all?
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    no, they gave you the wrong size.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    No. My small cap is smaller than my large.
  • thanks, that's what i figured...good thing dealer is close.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I would like to add to be careful when you open the small with the DFMT on it, mine fell off & broke when I opened it to flip some burgers. The chiminey is too short on the small & not a good fit. Just my $0.02 worth.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    A little late to post this, like @Focker I use the woo and the BGE 12" stone, my woo has handles so I raised the stone on some bricks and love the setup. It may look like there isn't enough room but all my pizzas come out great. I figure BGE spent plenty of time figuring out what size stone to use and while I raise my up higher with the woo it works great. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.