Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse seer?

What is reverse seer? You have to forgive me I just got a XL egg a month ago and been trying to learn the egg dialect.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    A reverse seer is an opinionated historian ;) .  A reverse sear is where you cook the meet evenly (slow) until it's almost done, then blast it with heat to get a maillard reaction ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction ).  The advantage to the reverse sear is with the dynamics of the egg - easier to heat up than cool down, and the surface of the meat is dry from water, so it takes less heat, and you can pick up smoke and seasoning during the slow part of the cook better.
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I've actually done this with ribeyes a couple times now.  Cook indirect (plate setter) as hot as I can get the egg...depending on what I've been doing, that might be 400F or 800F...adjust time accordingly.  When the steaks are close enough to done, remove plate setter and sear for a minute or less per side.

Only tricky part is the plate setter removal.  I've been doing it using pit mitts...but tonight, when I grabbed it by one of the legs, it slipped and I instinctively grabbed it with the other hand.  Even with the pit mitts, the bottom of the plate setter with 700F dome is just way too hot to handle.  It felt like I burned my hand...but it doesn't look like any real damage was done.

I think I remember seeing someone had made a tool from steel bar stock or rebar for moving the plate setter when hot.
  • njl said:
    I've actually done this with ribeyes a couple times now.  Cook indirect (plate setter) as hot as I can get the egg...depending on what I've been doing, that might be 400F or 800F...adjust time accordingly.  When the steaks are close enough to done, remove plate setter and sear for a minute or less per side.

@nil - try your indirect at 250. a 1-1/2" steak will take maybe 20-30 minutes to get to 115-120, pull it, remove your setter and then sear once the egg is hot. 
    I put my CI grid on the fire ring, then the setter, then the SS grid. Once the low cook is done, the CI is pretty hot as it has been between the setter and the burning lump. I also use an old pizza stone cut in half rather than a setter. Space is limited to a couple of steaks but works for us. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm with Skiddymarker...I cook low indirect then remove the PS and crank it up.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Do you have to remove the plate setter to reverse seer? Or is jacking up he heat enough ?
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited December 2012
    Locate a safe place to put the hot platesetter & remove it and set it down quickly.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Reverse sear, aka The Finney Method, is the only way to cook steaks, chops, loins (that aren't being smoked), etc. The slower you bring it up to temp before pulling the better! The reverse sear is very much like sous vide cooking. You'll never eat anything so tender as a reverse seared ribeye!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Reverse sear, aka The Finney Method, is the only way to cook steaks, chops, loins (that aren't being smoked), etc. The slower you bring it up to temp before pulling the better! The reverse sear is very much like sous vide cooking. You'll never eat anything so tender as a reverse seared ribeye!
    +1  I reverse sear all steaks, chops and sometimes even burgers.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Duganboy said:

Reverse sear, aka The Finney Method, is the only way to cook steaks, chops, loins (that aren't being smoked), etc. The slower you bring it up to temp before pulling the better! The reverse sear is very much like sous vide cooking. You'll never eat anything so tender as a reverse seared ribeye!

+1  I reverse sear all steaks, chops and sometimes even burgers.

The last burgers cooked I did the RS..best I've ever done.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN