Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Seer

Options
Alton
Alton Posts: 509
Do I have to remove the plate setter to reverse seer? Or can I just jack up the heat?
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......

Comments

• cspearce2
    Options
    Remove the place setter gets the best result IMHO.
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    cspearce2 said:

Remove the place setter gets the best result IMHO.

+1
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Gotta remove it. The tricky part is how. Especially if you've already been cooking at high heat.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Oven mitts, with a clear plan on where its going to be placed ASAP.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    Great Idea @bettysnephew!!!! I got to try that next time!!, Thanks
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Another really good hint I picked up on this site if you have a cast iron grate is to place it as normal on the fire ring and then place the plate setter on top of it legs up.  Then place the regular cooking grate on the plate setter.  Do your indirect cook to temperature, remove the regular grate and plate setter to a safe place and open the vents for the sear.  The C I grate wil come to searing temperature much quicker having been exposed to the coals direct heat during the initial cook.  I have done this several times and it works great, just wish I could remember who posted it to give credit where due.

Thanks for sharing that...great idea. I'm sold on the rs...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Another really good hint I picked up on this site if you have a cast iron grate is to place it as normal on the fire ring and then place the plate setter on top of it legs up.  Then place the regular cooking grate on the plate setter.  Do your indirect cook to temperature, remove the regular grate and plate setter to a safe place and open the vents for the sear.  The C I grate wil come to searing temperature much quicker having been exposed to the coals direct heat during the initial cook.  I have done this several times and it works great, just wish I could remember who posted it to give credit where due.
    I have posted a number of times with this method. Lately I've started to use the CI grid with a grill dome extender rack and an old pizza stone cut in 1/2. Because only two of us, I do my slow cook over the stone (indirect) above the felt line. When up to temp, I pull the grill dome, and drop the steaks onto the CI grid. Much easier than moving a setter. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!