Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef brisket - my first (need help)

FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I am posting this ahead of Christmas in hopes to get some good responses before everyone starts drinking when the in-laws arrive. I am doing my first brisket for Christmas. It is just a shade under 10lbs and is a full brisket. I have zero knowledge of brisket. Should I inject? Rub the night before? I assume indirect at about 250-275? What internal temp do I pull at? What part do I cut to make the burnt ends? How do I make burnt ends? Again, zero knowledge on brisket. Only ate once in my life and was at a restaurant. Does anything need to be trimmed from the whole brisket? Jack Daniels wood chips be a good one to use? Whe answering there is no such thing as to much info or details. Thanks!
Boom

Comments

• This is just the way I do it--any others can give better advice.  Most of this comes from http://www.nakedwhiz.com/brisket.htm.

I rub 4-5 hours before hand.  Lots of people use just salt and pepper.  I've used Dizzy Pig's Cow Lick and this time I'm using Raising the Steaks.

Get the fire really stable before you put the brisket on.  I put it on the stainless steel grate over an inverted platesetter, with a drip pan filled 3/4ths the way up with water.  I try to keep my temp below 250 to start, planning on ~24 hours for a 14-15 pound full packer brisket.  Put the brisket on fat side down to help protect it from the heat.

The temp will rise until it hits the "stall" between 150-170 and will stay there, or maybe even lose a few degrees, for a really long time.  

Once the brisket gets to ~185, start checking for doneness.  It's done when you can either pull a probe in and out easily or you can stick a fork in it and twist.  

When it's done, pull the brisket off and remove the point from the flat.  Wrap the flat in tinfoil and then towels and put it in a cooler fat side up.  It can stay here for close to 3 hours.  

For burnt ends, I add more wood to the Egg and put the point back on at approximately 350.  I'll leave it on until it is nice and burnt, but no more than 3 hours.  

To serve it up, I'll take the fattest part of the flat and slice it thin--about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.  Sauce can be served on the side, but you shouldn't need it. There will become a point in the flat where it starts to get pretty dry.  I'll chop the rest and mix it with BBQ sauce and serve it or freeze it.

For the point, I'll cut it into 1/2 inch cubes.  Comes out like candy.

Keep the leftovers and add a little beef broth to reheat for leftovers the next day.

Most importantly --- send us the pics! Merry Christmas.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    edited December 2012

the only info i can give is what i have learned from here http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

i must have read all of that tern or twelve times before i did my second brisket the first one was not worth eating

:-&

since that second brisket the only thing i have really tweeked is the rub. there is a ton of useful info there

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    edited December 2012

What follows are a collection of great brisket links ( some of which are mentioned above)-check them out and pick and choose what you want to go with:

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html
    And Jack Daniels chips are an eggcellent addition. 

All the info you will ever need. Enjoy the journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • This is how I did a flat only and it turned out great.  It will work the same for a packer. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141803/i-might-be-catching-on-to-this-cooking-brisket-flats#latest

For burnt ends, I cubed the point, put it in a aluminum pan, add some more rub, BBQ sauce and back onto the grill until the sauce thickens to the meta pieces.  They will be very tender.

C-T and Travis also has some very good methods if you want to search for their methods.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • 300 dome

Mesquite or hickory

Rub of choice

Cook till tender. (Around 195)

It really is that easy.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Great help. Just rubbed it down. Sitting in fridge. Will put on tomorrow night. I need the flat done around noon so I can do burnt ends. And need those done by 3. Eating at 5 but have other food need to cook on grill. Brother in law going to put oysters on the egg.
    Boom
  • So let me first of say that I borrowed an egg for the week from a friend that's gone for Christmas and in the 3 days I've had it I've done a corn beef brisket, smokedd fresh poslish sausage and even made bacon for BLT's (my wife says she's getting me an EAD for Christmas), now this morning I started a beef brisket (10lbs).  I'm starting to hit the mid 170's, should I try doing brunt ends or risk it on a day where I don't have company coming.  Boy do I hope Santa brings me a BGE!

• So let me first of say that I borrowed an egg for the week from a friend that's gone for Christmas and in the 3 days I've had it I've done a corn beef brisket, smokedd fresh poslish sausage and even made bacon for BLT's (my wife says she's getting me an EAD for Christmas), now this morning I started a beef brisket (10lbs).  I'm starting to hit the mid 170's, should I try doing brunt ends or risk it on a day where I don't have company coming.  Boy do I hope Santa brings me a BGE!

keep me posted on your brisket. Love to follow it and results
    Boom
  • It's funny one of my neighbors just called to aske me if I was seriously out at 5:30 grilling, the answer was yes and proud of it.  Let me know how yours turns out and I'll do the same.  Thanks.

• Real quick question, if my brisket finishes early can I wrap it in foil (do my best to keep it warm) and then place it back on the egg for a warm up closer to dinner time?  What's the best temp to serve this at?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Use the FTC (foil, towels and cooler) method and you can hold the finished brisket at eating temperature for 4-5 hours easily.  Key is to use plenty of towels to eliminate air voids.  It will not need warming prior to eating.  One other thing-don't slice (across the grain) til ready to eat.  It can dry out quickly.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042

Real quick question, if my brisket finishes early can I wrap it in foil (do my best to keep it warm) and then place it back on the egg for a warm up closer to dinner time?  What's the best temp to serve this at?

Probably no need to reheat if done within 4-6 hours of consumption double wrap in heavy foil, wrap in towels and into a warm cooler (FTC). Very efficient! Post some pics of it
  • Mine is a 10 lb whole brisket. Does starting around 11-12 tonight seem about right to have it done by 3ish? Gonna FTC until about 5, got other things to cook in that gap.
    Boom
  • Almost entire last month in SC warm and dry. Today,,and next two days, will be almost non-stop rain and high in 50s. When planned everyone coming to house tomorrow was with idea weather would be at least dry. So this sucks quite a bit. Thurs and Fri though 0% chance of rain.
    Boom
  • Almost entire last month in SC warm and dry. Today,,and next two days, will be almost non-stop rain and high in 50s. When planned everyone coming to house tomorrow was with idea weather would be at least dry. So this sucks quite a bit. Thurs and Fri though 0% chance of rain.
    I think you'll be done early but that is good. It can hold 4-6 hours in FTC and I actually think they are much better after a long hold. Put it on at midnight and plan on 1-1.5 hrs per lb at 250-275
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Meant to update earlier but the brisket was great. I'll def be doing more. Entire thing was gone. And got dang burnt ends were good!
    Boom