Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon Grilled on a Salt Block

Two peace of Salmon with melted butter, lemon juice, and Dizzy Pig Raging River Rub

On the salt block @ 450* for 3-min.
Turned over for 3-min. more

Served with Jackie's cooked Kale with red onion and garlic, stuffed baked potato with butter bacon, cheddar cheese, butter.
We really like our fish cooked on the Himalayan salt block it gives a wonderful flavor.

Himalayan salt block:http://www.saltworks.us/himalayan-pl...ks-blocks.html

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/HTMLrubs/ragingriver.html

Thanks for looking

Ross

Edit/Delete Message

Comments

• Great fish!  Did you brine prior to?  
  • Very nice looking cook!
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • Excellent, great looking fish. Did you get your block from salt works? We have been thinking of ordering a couple. 
    Had an extraordinary meal at Apex Ski Resort a few years ago. They bring a piece of meat, (chicken breast, fillet mignon, pork tenderloin) out on a prep board, pre sliced to thin slices and then give you a hot rock (salt stone?) to cook it on. You lay the meat on the rock and take it off when you like the look of it. Kinda like fondu without the oil. The sizzle and smell was unreal. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • You won't be sorry

Ross
  • No brine just butter, lemon juice and Raging River Rub

Ross
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Excellent, great looking fish. Did you get your block from salt works? We have been thinking of ordering a couple. 
    Had an extraordinary meal at Apex Ski Resort a few years ago. They bring a piece of meat, (chicken breast, fillet mignon, pork tenderloin) out on a prep board, pre sliced to thin slices and then give you a hot rock (salt stone?) to cook it on. You lay the meat on the rock and take it off when you like the look of it. Kinda like fondu without the oil. The sizzle and smell was unreal. 

One of my favorite places to eat here does that on granite blocks its awesome. I'm expecting Santa to bring a salt block and this is gonna be my first cook.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Looks terrific.  I've never eaten anything off of a salt block.  Sounds interesting.
  • You should try it

Ross
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    How is the cooking procedure when using the salt block? Does it need to heat up? It doesn't over salt? We received ome as a gift but have yet to use it.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • Zick, all you do is warm up your salt block in you Egg. Direct heat. Once the salt block is up to temp, put your steak, chop, etc. directly on the salt block and sear away until done! Couldn't be easier. You can also put it the freezer and use it as a serving platter for sushi. Just don't go from your freezer to your 500*F Egg. You'll have some kind of expensive rock salt!
  • Ross, looks like you started your salmon with skin down and finished skin up, right?  My daughter gave me a salt block last fathers day.  My salmon came out pretty salty tasting and have not used the block since.  Think I'll give it another try.  Hate to admit it but thinking back, I may have salted my fish in the prep...duh!
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    I bought one for me for Christmas and wanted to use it ASAP, but my wife wrapped it and now I have to wait! Got it at Sur la Table for $34.cant wait to try it!