Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Noobie with temp control questions

Options
I have a xl and only use lump hardwood. Are there any broad guidelines for temp ranges with top and bottom vent adjustments? Ie ... Daisy wheel 1/2 open and bottom vent 1/4 open equates to 250 to 275 degrees? Any insight would be welcome!

Comments

• hartofatiger
    Options
    For a low and slow, you're right on the money, but you will still have to tinker with it to find your eggs' comfort zone.   I'd shoot for a 1/2 of an inch on the botttom and 1/2 on top.  Catch the temp on the way up (i.e. don't let it get too far off your target or it will take some time to come back down.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited December 2012
    Options
    My two cents worth is that it's going to vary depending on the brand of lump charcoal you use. I use Wicked Good Weekend Warrior and for those temperatures my top damper would be open maybe a 16th of an inch on the daisywheel and the bottom draft door might be open about 1/2" if that.

One suggestion I would make is to snap some pictures of the settings once you've stabilized your Egg at the temperatures that you use. This will help you remember if some time goes by before you cook something at that temperature range again. Also you can look at several series of the photos and interpolate temperatures in between. Take three pictures: the top damper, the lower damper and the temperature gauge.

Also many folks around here go without the metal daisywheel cap both when warming up and when cooking at high temperatures. For me I generally don't use it all at temperatures above about 500°. I control everything with a lower draft door. Below 500° I leave it off until the egg starts to get within about 50 to 75° of the temperature and then I'll put the daisywheel cap on and start slowing down the climb of the temperatures.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Here is a fine visual presentation of vent settings for various temperatures. (Thanks, Grandpa's Grub) While vent settings are never exact, what is shown will get you quite close to the temp you might want.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    +1
    gdenby said:
    Here is a fine visual presentation of vent settings for various temperatures. (Thanks, Grandpa's Grub) While vent settings are never exact, what is shown will get you quite close to the temp you might want.

This was my go-to resource when I first began egging this past April. It helped me so much. Since then, I've eggsperimented with other set ups that both include and not include the daisy wheel. Once you have the basics down, part of the fun is figuring out what works for you, and as Jim said, learning your particular lump.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Like many things with the egg there are lots of ways to use it. Some folks use the top vent to control temp, some folks use the bottom vent to control temp. The analogy used is a hose, you can control water flow with the tap on the wall or the nozzle, same result. The egg is air in and air out, how you control it is your choice. 

Can't say it enough, the egg is slow to respond, give it a chance to adjust after each change, else you could be chasing the temp. Good reference noted above. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    The best way is just to get out there and figure it out yourself. Your egg may have a comfort zone 15 degrees off from mine. You will get it with time, just put the time in. Good luck and happy eggin!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Egghead Willie
    Options

All good info.  You will soon find the settings that work best.  Until you do the link provided  on Grandpas Grub was a huge help to me at first

• SoMdEggHead
    Options
    Thanks for all the great information and insight. The catching the temp on the way up insight was very helpful... I've already found it takes a long time to adjust downward. Again thank you all!