Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My XL Big Green Egg Table - What about the feet...

Options
Denevan
Denevan Posts: 24
edited December 2012 in EGG Table Forum

I have wanted to build a table for my XL BGE forever now and I am nearly finished adding the final touches (going to TRY to make some doors and then stain and spar varnish the whole thing). I Kreg jigged 2x4's and 4x4's for the frame and then covered it in cedar picket fence posts ($2.25 at the big box stores – much cheaper than cedar boards – but they need to be sanded)... I really prefer the open concept verses dropping the egg though a hole (I move a lot so it has to be somewhat mobile).

I went to add my feet and cannot decide if I should do two in the front and 1 in the back or two in the back and 1 in the front. I looked at many pictures and it is about 50/50... The egg seems to be sturdy -- does anyone have any suggestions or engineering reasons why one way is better? Is the new table nest any better of a solution?

Comments

• BillPinNC
    Options
    I would buy the new metal nest, it gives you a good air gap below the egg and the table. I also found my eggs were more stable on the new nest than the old feet.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I thought I heard someone say they BGE doesn't recommend using the feet on the XL, I'm thinking there's a structural reason, but I'll defer to anyone who actually knows what they're talking about.  I have a large, and I use the feet - one in the front, two in the back - 120 degrees of separation.
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I thought I heard someone say they BGE doesn't recommend using the feet on the XL, I'm thinking there's a structural reason, but I'll defer to anyone who actually knows what they're talking about.  I have a large, and I use the feet - one in the front, two in the back - 120 degrees of separation.
    I have not heard that but I will try to call the mothership in the morning so make sure. It's a lot of weight for those little feet...
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    not sure about any recommendations, but the XL never came with feet like the other sizes did (none do anymore, they want you to buy the table nest). if you got them with the egg, the dealer threw them in for you, its not supposed to come with any...
  • Denevan
    Options
    not sure about any recommendations, but the XL never came with feet like the other sizes did (none do anymore, they want you to buy the table nest). if you got them with the egg, the dealer threw them in for you, its not supposed to come with any...
    Makes sense -- I'll be headed to the local dealer in the AM... I hope they have some.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Here's a past post on the XL intentionally not coming with feet (and mention of a call to BGE corp resulting in guidance to not use them with an XL): https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/963163/feet-on-an-xl
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I have no idea...but, nice table.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattsam
    Options
    Is there a part number to buy the feet?  I think my wife threw mine away.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

The ceramic feet are hard to find nowadays as the Eggs have stopped coming with them several months ago.  You used to be able to order them, maybe Tucker can send you some if they have them.   XL Eggs had developed stress cracks from the using of the ceramic feet for support.  Not a good idea.   The new table nest is by far the best option as it lets plenty of air in to keep everything cooled off, as well as giving good support to your Egg.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    Cool, like the design.
  • Denevan
    Options

Just to close this one out - I heard back from the mother ship - Feet on the XL are a bad idea (really bad and that's why they never sent them with feet). I went and bought a new table nest that works awesome. Going to use the feet for my platesetter to add some space btwn it and pans / pizza stones etc.

Thanks everyone

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    what he said... havnt seen xl with feet, actually thought it didnt come with them.

my small rocks when the lid goes back, so i would say two in the back... i tried to do it with four but couldnt get it level.. ive given up on feet and used a brick spacer kind of thing for air flow.  i have 13 feet and cant get the dead gum thing to work with feet oh well. 

XLBGE 
  • Denevan
    edited March 2013
    Options

I added doors to my XL BGE Table