Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poultry skin rubbery when smoked

Options
I love smoking poultry on my XL BGE. However, when I smoke poultry the skin is always rubbery. I'm a big fan of crispy skin on chicken and turkey. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to smoke a bird and have crispy skin?

By the way, when I smoke a bird I do so at 325-350, apple wood chunks on the coals, plate setter legs up, drip pan filled with apple juice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

I like to do my chickens (whole birds or parts) direct with a raised cooking grid, cook in the high 300's (say 375).   Whole birds I do a small pie pan under the bird to protect the bird from intense heat but no platesetter.  The raised grid helps with flame ups, the direct heat gets you the crispy skin and still plenty of smoke.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Your technique is Ok mostly, but the heat is too low and you don't need any liquid. Try 400-425 dome, drip pan but no juice. The juice is steaming the bird, hence no "crispy". 
    Also, try a little corn starch on the skin with the rub, maybe a 2:1 ratio (rub:starch), if it is still dry on the skin, mist with oil just until it is no longer dry. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Higher temps and let that bird sit uncovered on a cooling rack in your fridge overnight.  The skin will dry out and look a little funky, but enough moisture can dry out of the skin to make it crispy after baking.  A light dusting of corn starch like skiddy said also helps.
    Options
    ^^agree air drying helps a ton.
  • DawgDays
    Options
    You can also poke a few holes in the skin (but not the meat) with a fork. It helps the fat drip out and not pool underneath, becoming gummy.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Lose the drip pan. Go direct raised at 400. If time leave uncovered in fridge over night to dry out. Same for turkey.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options

Raised, direct, spatchcock, at 400-425 leave breast side down for the first 5-10 minutes then flip over.

• DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Options
    You can cook it like you are now and then wind the heat up for the last 15-20 minutes of your cook and your skin will be crispy.