Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My 1st Pork Attempt @ Pulled Pork

Ok fellow eggheads, The 4+ pound bone-in pork roast is in the refrigerator covered with mustard, butt-rub, salt & pepper and garlic.  Also drizzled some honey.  If it goes on at 9 am @ 225* how long cook time do you expect?  What internal temp am I looking for?  Would you wrap in foil at some point?

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    1.  225 needs to be your grid temp, not your dome temp.  Dome needs to be 250-275
    2.  At 250-275 dome it will be in the "neighborhood" of 1.5 hours per pound, but always cook to get done early because you can always FTC (that is double wrap in foil, wrap in towels then put in a cooler).  It will stay hot for hours.
    3.  Internal temp needs to be 195-200
    4.  I never foil, but some people do and we both think our way is the best.
    5.  After the first couple of hours I spray about every hour with apple juice.

Good luck.
  • Thanks.  I have pics and will take more and share later.  Thanks.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• The time is variable. I put two butts on side by side, same size, one took 12 hours and the other 15. Both came out fine. I never spray mine. Stabilize the temp and then only open the egg when the temp is 195 and the meat is about to fall apart. Don't pull the pork until you are ready to eat it. If it is going to be awhile, wrap the butt in 2 layers of foil, wrap that in a heavy bath towel, and put the but in a cooler. If I put two butts in a Yeti cooler they will hold for ~12 hours.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Just another way to do it: TURBO BUTTS · Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours to 195 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so (can be smaller) . Note: both times on the foil wrap is not required.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Doing my first butt as we speak. 7.75 lb bone in. Last night smeared it will yellow mustard and Dizzy venom rub. Spent the night in the fridge and now on the egg at 215. Looking for 180 internal. Then wrap with foil, towels and put in cooler for 2 hours. Making eastern Carolina vinegar sauce to go on top.
  • So how long did your smoke last?

I used 4 large/medium pieces of applewood chunks and I think it is all gone within the first 2 hrs.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• Wonderful.  Thanks all for you wisdom.  I know, Bud 55 is girlie beer but hey, the pork is wonderful.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• I did my first one this weekend as well.  It was great, but it took a lot longer than I expected.  I had a difficulty keeping the Egg hot enough.  It was a cold/rainy/yucky weekend in New England.  I am not sure if I put enough charcoal in at the beginning.  I ended up bringing it in and finishing it in the oven.  Great taste but frustrating.  The recommendation above of I.5 per pound sounds about right. Any advice on how much charcoal to plan?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    IsCornell said:
    I did my first one this weekend as well.  It was great, but it took a lot longer than I expected.  I had a difficulty keeping the Egg hot enough.  It was a cold/rainy/yucky weekend in New England.  I am not sure if I put enough charcoal in at the beginning.  I ended up bringing it in and finishing it in the oven.  Great taste but frustrating.  The recommendation above of I.5 per pound sounds about right. Any advice on how much charcoal to plan?
    Fill to the top of the fire box at least. If I think a cook is going to take a really long time, I go part way up the fire ring. I leave enough space so the platesetter is not resting directly on the coals. 
  • @Eggcelsior has it right, you can never have too much lump as long as the setter is not sitting on it. It is better to have some left over for the next cook, than to be short a pound or two. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Doing my first butt as we speak. 7.75 lb bone in. Last night smeared it will yellow mustard and Dizzy venom rub. Spent the night in the fridge and now on the egg at 215. Looking for 180 internal. Then wrap with foil, towels and put in cooler for 2 hours. Making eastern Carolina vinegar sauce to go on top.
    You'll want the grate least 225, which means 250-275 dome if indirect. Usually 195-205 IT for pulled pork 160-180 if your going to slice it.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Great thoughts.  Thanks for posting.  I definitely have not been putting enough in.  I have been adding individual pieces (8 or 10) as a starting point and then adding 4 or 6 at a time later on.  
    Do you have a general rule of thumb?  I saw a note about one or 2 chimney's full.  I doubt I have been putting in a full one.

Also, is there an easy way to add wood chips?  How much should I add at a time?  I ended up having to take the roast off and then add more wood/charcoal mid way. 

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873

I usually just open the lump bag and dump it in the Egg until it's full. Almost up to the platesetter. 

Any you don't use can be used for the next cook. Just remember to stir the ash before you light it each time. 

XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Sunday evening I used some leftover bbq pulled pork and made a pizza with homemade dough, onions and cheese.  WOW.  Good Eats.  (sorry Alton)

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska