Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is your egg area covered?

Options
I live in the Pacific NW and love my egg dearly, however, since we live hear and it rains 9 months out of the year (5 of those consistent rain) I hate having to take food on and off the grill in the rain. I also would love an area just to relax outside when it is raining while the egg is going (you know the usual adult beverage and a cigar).

Do you cover your egg area if so what with? Pergola? Etc?

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Cooking in the rain sucks.  I cook on the porch.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• SamFerrise
    Options
    Egg is parked in the garage.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Rick1
    Rick1 Posts: 81
    Options
    I'm also in the NW and have a covered deck. We had the roof extended over a 12 X 12 area just for our outdoor living. I'm in Lacey, WA, what part of the NW are you in?
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    Work at JBLM, live in Port Orchard.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Options
    In Canada we call it the "wet" coast - know exactly what you are talking about. Used my old spa pad, 7'X7', threw a quick roof on it  - I stay dry.....

Delta, BC. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Also in PNW... I got a bid on a retract able metal roof and it was nearly $32k so this tarp will do for now!
    Lynnwood WA
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options

I got this gazebo on clearance a few years back.  It works great, but I still have to scoot to it pretty quick to avoid the rain from the door to the egg.  :)  And BTW, the chargriller is now R.I.P. in grill heaven.  LOL

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

We've got a little covered patio. I keep it out in the open when its not raining, but its nice to pull it in when the sky opens up. (Are you digging on the green astroturf? Gotta love renthouses)

Here's a session during the rain.

I don't want to stand out in that.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I love how all the various "tribes" around the country have different methodologies to shield their cooking areas from the elements.  Showcases the diversity of eggheads via the architectural perspective.
    edited December 2012
    Options
    We have a louvered patio cover that I open & close as needed to let smoke out or sun in.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    Also in the PNW. Built my little lean to to cover me and the egg during our rainy season (so about 9 months).
    image.jpg 1005.9K
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    In rainy Tampa Bay and have a thatched umbrella that is singed on the ends from the high heat.  Very curly.  I'll try and get a pic and add to the discussion.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:

I got this gazebo on clearance a few years back.  It works great, but I still have to scoot to it pretty quick to avoid the rain from the door to the egg.  :)  And BTW, the chargriller is now R.I.P. in grill heaven.  LOL

That is exactly what I (also Pac NW...MT) am looking for as well.  Any chance you know the name of that gazebo or where you got it?  I realize it was disco, but maybe someone else has one for sale-  thanks
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    No cover, but I should probably look into it.  When it rains, my husband follows me around with an umbrella -- for the food, of course.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    @allsid - from what I remember, he got that either at Sam's or Costco, but he got it awhile back. A year or two? He'll chime in soon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Got mine from Target

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @dlk7 - pretty sweet little nirvana dere.

I can't imagine not egging under a cover.  Rains a lot here.  Rigged up a fan for smoke management.  Works perfectly.  Who dat.

Yea I think if I had a cover I would be egging 2-3 times a week instead of the 2-3 times a month currently.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Be still, sad heart, and cease repining; Behind the clouds the sun is shining; Thy fate is the common fate of all, Into each life some rain must fall, Some days must be dark and dreary.

-Longfellow

No cover, no problems. Although I still need to build myself a table. No storage, problems.....

• hogaholic
    Options

Covered patio adjacent to my screened porch, right off the kitchen.  That is a 60" commercial vent-a-hood.  Great light and it gets the smoke out of there.

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    We have a louvered patio cover that I open & close as needed to let smoke out or sun in.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Hey R2 - Do you mind telling me what that cost? I looked it up yesterday and It looks like yours is from Equinox? That is exactly what I want!

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Hey R2 - Do you mind telling me what that cost? I looked it up yesterday and It looks like yours is from Equinox? That is exactly what I want!

Yes, it is made by Equinox. Size is the key variable and mine was about $40/sq ft. I'm in CA where the cost of living is really high so depending where you're at it might cost less.

I chose the louvered cover as my goal is to have an outdoor kitchen & the XL built in someday so having an easy way to let the smoke out was important. I also have a 400+ lb insulated gravity feed smoker under it that I can't move by myself so venting for it was also a factor.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    When we rebuilt our garage, I specifically had this area made for the Egg.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    @allsid:
    Dyal_SC sent me a PM about 2 years ago on the BBQ Bible Message board about this unit because I was looking for something like this. I needed two to cover enough area to cover all of my grills. I didn't get this model because there was no practical way to join up two units.

The one he has is the Eclipse Grill Center Model CA4035-013549. He mentioned he got it on closeout. At the time when I looked, what appeared to be this exact same unit  with different names was available from several manufacturers under various prices ranging from $400 to $1,000 (Brookstone). The shipping was pricy too due to the weight, around $100 as I recall.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    This is the solution I ended up doing shortly after I got my Egg this past August. A new 10x10 Ez-Up I'd bought in the Spring didn't last the summer. This is a 10x10 grill gazebo that I had built by the crew that was doing work on my house at the time. 

As you can see I still cover my grills. If you look at my rain pix & Dyal's rain pix above, you can see with the open sides you do get some wet areas inside-particularly near the ground. This depends on the intensity of the rain and wind. For me I would not change a thing about my Grill Gazebo. I designed it and I want it open, but things do get wet. Another example is if it is foggy you will get a coating of the moisture that is in the air on the grills. So bottom line: I cover everything even though it is under my Grill Gazebo. The Grill Gazebo keeps me fairly dry in bad weather, the grills not quite so much. And where I live it gets below freezing 4 or 5 months of the year.

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Thanks jfm0830Griffin, for your responses and all of you for showing what you have going for shelter.  This is what I am working with now, and with a new arrival on the way (small) I think I want to start acting like I just turned 40.

Sad, isn't it?
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    @Village Idiot: What a beautiful garden. I am indeed envious. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    jlsm said:
    @Village Idiot: What a beautiful garden. I am indeed envious. 
    Thanks, jlsm.  I'd hate for you to see the weeds in it right now, but that will change, come spring.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hoppy & Hoppette
    Options
    Yes, my LBGE sits under my aluminum awning on my back porch.