Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg Break-In

Options
Are there a list of best practices for breaking in a new egg?  I have seen some things mentioned within various posts, but have not seen a specific post on the topic.

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    There are none. You may fry your gasket but it will happen at some point no matter what you do or dont do. 

Cook away and your egg will be fine. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    In my experience Travis is right on. I've purchased and used 13 eggs out of the box. That said there may be some cooling or cutting fluid on the grid and the grate. Half an hour at a warm temp would deal with that.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    I agree with both. I got mine in the spring and got right at it. I started with simple my first few cooks, chicken breasts, burgers, steak, just to get the hang of temperature control. The learning curve is not very steep and you'll be rocking overnighters in no time. I was up to 700° by my third cook and have a bit of a gasket left. Thankfully the mother ship is in the process of replacing it for me.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    1.  Throw all the included documentation away.
    2.  Read this forum on how to light and get good smoke.
    3.  Marinate by drinking a few adult beverages while playing with the damper and DW.
    4.  Let it get a little hotter than you plan on cooking just to burn off any crap.
    5.  Keep an eye on the color of the smoke - if it looks dark (not white) and smells pleasant, start cooking.
    How exactly does the gasket get fried? Does it melt?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

How exactly does the gasket get fried? Does it melt?

It sort of burns up and gets crispy. You'll notice after 5 or so cooks, the inside edge darkens and looks sort of slick. Over time, this happens to the whole thing and it begins to disintegrate... Or, it happens with 1 pizza cook. Unless you have a high-heat gasket, like a Nomex. Newer eggs have these out of the box.

• Smokin_Trout
    Options
    The best thing for a new egg is to light it. Take it up to about 500* for about 40 minutes. Put a nice steak on and call me. Remove steak and lower temp. Put steak back on, remove at 130*, plate it and wait for me to arrive to taste test it.