Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Prime Rib Rub

Hey fellow eggers, I'm planning on doing a prime rib for christmas this year on the egg and need a good rub recipe. To us a great crust can make or break the roast so hit me with your best. P.S. We aren't afraid of herbs and spices, we use lots of them.

Comments

• kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper....let the meat shine.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Montreal Steak Seasoning works really well with PR
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Quinn has it right, let the meat shine. 

If the cut is center or choice, maybe some garlic powder as well. I also like Penzey's English prime rib rub, but have never used it on PR, always on a sirloin tip or rump. 

PR is often cooked with little or no crust, slow cooked and then seared. If you like it with a crust and plan to sear first, This paste/rub does the job:

1 tablespoon (15ml) ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons (10ml) dried rosemary leaves
    2 teaspoons (10ml) dried thyme or oregano
    2 teaspoons (10ml) table salt/sea salt or 3 tsp kosher
    1 teaspoon (5ml) garlic powder
    1 teaspoon (5ml) onion powder
    1 teaspoon (5ml) paprika (mild non-smoked)
    1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) cayenne or chipotle powder (I like cayenne)

Mix all ingredients, store until needed.

Mix 1 part rub to 1 part EVOO to form a paste.

Dry the roast with paper towel, cover with rub.

Cook immediately or let sit for 1 or 2 hours. 

Good luck

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Penzeys like Skiddy said or S&P. Always fresh cracked. I also like mine with lots of Garlic. Makes for great au jus(when oven roasted)
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    edited December 2012
    Just go to this site. http://whatscookingamerica.net/beefClassicPrimeRib.htm and it will tell you how to do it from start to finish. The means from buying to eating. I did this and the Prime Rib was awesome for sure. You will have to click on Articles and Recipes and the article will be along the right side. Great read and tells everything from buying to slicing.