Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what to do with brussel sprouts

I had a opportunity to field pick some Brussel sprouts. I have the whole stock with the sprouts on. What can I do with these? Anyway to grill them, either on the stock or off?? Only have about 15 stocks. Yikes!!
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you have a lot of them, I'd take some of them and pickle them.  They're awesome.

On the egg, you can marinate them then skewer and grill them.
    Rome, GA
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited December 2012
    I like to cut the little guys in half, add some onion slices, butter and balsamic vinegar, little s/p and roast in a cast iron pan on the BGE or stove.  This also works well with broccoli and cauliflower floretes.
  • We roast ours (usually in the oven, while something else is on the egg, EVO, S (kosher) & P, roast them at 400 on a sheet pan, stir occasionally and they get just a bit brown and crunchy on the outside. (Food Network, Barefoot Contessa).
    LBGE
  • I would take Richard Fl or Doc's advice for roasting, and add some blue cheese and dried cranberries...maybe even some shelled pistachios as well.
  • I like to cut the little guys in half, add some onion slices, butter and balsamic vinegar, little s/p and roast in a cast iron pan on the BGE or stove.  This also works well with broccoli and cauliflower floretes.

+ 1, I like to use shallots instead of onions but probably the same flavor profile
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Copied from my folder.

Ingredients: 

1 lb. container fresh sprouts, rinsed 
    8-10 large garlic cloves, peeled 
    4 tbsp olive oil 
    Kosher or sea salt 
    Coarsely ground black pepper 
    1/2 tsp thyme 

Method: 
    Preheat the egg to 375F indirect. Remove any loose, outer leaves, cut off the stems, then halve the sprouts. 
    Cut the garlic cloves in half, lengthwise. In a suitable bowl, combine the sprouts and garlic. Add salt & pepper to taste and then the thyme. Stir, then drizzle with the olive oil and stir again. Spread on a foiled-lined cookie sheet (makes for an easy clean-up). I like to position the sprouts with the cut side up. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until the sprouts & garlic are carmalized.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Feed them to a rabbit while searing a ribeye.
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
     I'm with BOWHURN, the only dif is I put the cut side down for about 15 min. untill there is some caramelization then flip them. Drizzle with a little lime or lemon and some parm. I guess it's back to the store tomorrow for sprouts.
  • DocWonmug said:

We roast ours (usually in the oven, while something else is on the egg, EVO, S (kosher) & P, roast them at 400 on a sheet pan, stir occasionally and they get just a bit brown and crunchy on the outside. (Food Network, Barefoot Contessa).

This is my go-to method for a lot of vegetables
  • do what bowhunter said. They are great with salt pepper and grilled. I roast them a lot like fire tower as well.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I blanch them then bake them in a pie with 1# browned ground beef mixed with cream of shroom soup, a little garlic, shredded mozz & shredded sharp cheddar.  I cover the top crust with butter and sprinkled paprika.  Bake at 350 until crust is your favorite shade of done.  Now that I have an Egg, I think I'll give the oven a break and do this in the Egg next time.
    Flint, Michigan
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Wash 'em, cut 'em in half.  Toss with virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.  Roast them on a slotted cooker at 350 for about 45 minutes.  Toss with bacon bits.  Simple, clean and delicious.  Enjoy.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • I marinate them in Italian dressing, then skewer them and cook direct over the flames.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    I used to tell my dad I didn't like brussel sprouts. He would say, "son, these are goooood brussel sprouts". But I couldn't get past the smell, and an still not a fan. If'n you are gonna cook them, I would say add lots of bacon and cheese.
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    By far the best way I have ever had them (and I like them so order when I see them) is at BLT Steak.. Those along with the popovers are incredible. Steak you can do better on your egg. Here is a copy of it. http://floridagirlindc.blogspot.com/2010/03/honey-caramelized-brussels-sprouts.html
    Greensboro, NC
  • I did a bunch on Thanksgiving in a CI on the egg at about 400. Put grapeseed oil on the pan. Cut the sprouts in half, S&P and some shelled pistacios. The family that joined us said it was their first time with sprouts and won't be their last. I stirred and cooked until they started to brown up on both sides.

• Place them on the com-poster until they are well fermented and then dig them in. Make sure your com-poster is down-wind of the house.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    FlashkaBob - by Jove, I think you just described the recipe for kimchi.  Good stuff. 
    My 3 year old granddaughter 'I don't like Brussels Sprouts'. But she loves 'Round Broccoli', as well as 'White Broccoli' (Califlower). It's all n the presentation.
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Check vegetable a day book by the guy from Cooks Illustrated.. I don't have the time to exactly transcribe the recipe, but essentially a little cream and mustard sauteed.. delicious.
  • FlashkaBob - by Jove, I think you just described the recipe for kimchi.  Good stuff. 
    I knew I had a talent for something!    :-j

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Favorite way to make brussel sprouts is to wash them, make a marinade of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and chili pepper and let them sit for about 15 minutes.  Then skewer and grill on the egg direct.  Gives a great flavor with a slight char from grilling.  Whole family loves them this way.  And no smell in the house from roasting them in the oven.
  • jrog74
    jrog74 Posts: 42
    Olive oil and Motreal Steak seasoning. Roast them in the oven or the egg. 
  • Shaved is about the only way I can eat them.  You can make a slaw with shaved fennel, napa cabbage, carrots, scallions, cilantro... toss with fish sauce, olive oil, lime, salt and pepper?  I don't know, just thinking out loud. 

SOMETIMES I can force them down roasted with loads of butter and bacon. But why do that when I can have potatoes instead. :)
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Here's what ya do:

Get yourself a nice cast iron skillet and warm it up about medium heat. When it gets hot, add some thick sliced peppered bacon to the skillet (preferably home made if you have gotten into that craze yet). Take your brussel sprouts out of the fridge or grocery bag. Now find your trash can and toss the brussel sprouts in. Continue cooking the bacon and enjoy when its done.

Sorry can't help you with brussel sprouts. No idea how to cook them. Not sure if I even like them. My mom made me eat them a few times when I was little and they were horrible, but then again, until last week I didn't think I liked cauliflower, so I guess its time to try them again.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:

Here's what ya do:

Get yourself a nice cast iron skillet and warm it up about medium heat. When it gets hot, add some thick sliced peppered bacon to the skillet (preferably home made if you have gotten into that craze yet). Take your brussel sprouts out of the fridge or grocery bag. Now find your trash can and toss the brussel sprouts in. Continue cooking the bacon and enjoy when its done.

=))
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    never thought to pikle them, that actually sounds good, then make that slaw with the pickled ones
    :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it