Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Using Frontier Lump

I've always used Royal Oak for all my cooking but my last over night cook went 27 hours @ 250° and I went thru 2-  8.8 lb bags. Normally I wouldn't use 1 bag of RO in 22-24 hours. Time to try something else. How is the burn time on Frontier? I put 15 lbs (bag and a half) in my large BGE. I need 22 hours at 250°

Thanks 

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• I did not like Frontier at all.  I thought it would be great to use since it's 1/2 or 1/3 of BGE brand.  But, it seemed to take it a long time to get to temp, and there was a lot of sparks flying out the daisy wheel on warm up.  And lots of dust.

I used 5 bags, but had to bite the bullet and went back to BGE lump.  I also tried the Stubbs brand briquettes, they worked ok for doing chickens, but ended up with lots of ash in the firebox. 

I haven't tried anything else...  but I really hated that frontier crap.  Did nothing for taste, either!

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I agree with it taking time to heat up. It took 1.5 hours to reach 250°. I had an oval stone with 1 gal of water in a tray on it. Using royal oak, that would've been 30-45 minutes. I will see how it burns over night but I think I will keep searching.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    i ran through a few bags from lowes.  didn't get the life out of it.  i have been using cowboy (stocked year round at my local ace) for the last 3 months and it seems to have a better life faster up to temp and less sparks.  i always used it with my weber too can't complain on the price got 4 bags of wicked good coming from ace online may have drank some koolaide to order that one.
  • Texan_in_Seattle
    Texan_in_Seattle Posts: 6
    edited December 2012

From Ace, free shipping to local store

Wicked Good - 20.99 - 22lb bag

Cowboy - 15.99 - 20lb bag

I may have to give these a try, but I can't stand Ace.  My local one sucks, sometimes the prices are twice.

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    If you can find Humphrey's that is some good stuff. I also like 100% Natural  Hardwood Charcoal Briquets. I used them in my weber before I got try them in my ceramic grill.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362

From Ace, free shipping to local store

Wicked Good - 20.99 - 22lb bag

Cowboy - 15.99 - 20lb bag

I may have to give these a try, but I can't stand Ace.  My local one sucks, sometimes the prices are twice.

I ordered 2 bags of Cowboy from my Ace and will be trying soon.  

Big Lake, Minnesota

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    I don't mind it I know a lot of people on here don't like it but its cheap and readily available where I live. Good call on giving it a shot to form your own opinion.
  • I use Frontier quite a bit. I usually have a bag or two on hand as well as WGWW. It is cheap at my local warehouse club $19.99 for 34 lbs. Naked Whiz rated it middle of the pack. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag60.htm. Ash production is a little high but does not bother my XL. Not too bad for normal cooks under 4 hours IMHO.
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!