Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ghetto Wokkin'

So, I typically Wok on my XL, using the woo2. Never used the large, and this time, I didn't feel like using either. I must say, this was easier to get ready, faster, hotter (easily controlled) and also easy to put away after. I am surprised I didn't think of it sooner, but I am glad I did. Food turned out great, minus the natural smoke flavor of the lump/wood chips. This is a great alternative for those days you just don't have the time to fire the eggs up.

PS, notice I said ghetto, this is because of my makeshift table for the propane burner lol, the old cage from my old "fire-que" thing we take to tailgate so we can have a camp fire. It worked, but next time I will use a table.

All in all it was very good as always, just used what we had in the fridge, some sriracha and teriyaki sauces. Hope this inspires those with a propane burner.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Looks awesome. You pretty much did what every Asian Cookery does with their kabajillion-BTU burners on their commercial ranges. A little less Stainless Steel on your surround, though. ;)

• Looks awesome. You pretty much did what every Asian Cookery does with their kabajillion-BTU burners on their commercial ranges. A little less Stainless Steel on your surround, though. ;)
    Thanks man, it really was good. Had the flames shooting out of the sides like they do in their kitchens too lol. It was fun.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• @Michigan_Jason nice looking cook, There have been a number of threads regarding how best to stir fry, some folks like their eggs others use a burner like your "set-up" and I use the term "set-up" loosely. Very creative on your part, looks like it worked just fine. 

I've used the side burner on my gasser for small dishes or my turkey burner for larger cooks for years, long before I enjoyed my egg. Many of the stir fry recipes I use, require the temp of the wok to be lowered to make a sauce, always seemed to me that might be very hard to do with an egg set-up. 

Noticed you have the D handle wok, I found a long wooden handle wok used with the burner to be better, you don't need a glove and you can shake and empty the wok like a saute pan, very easy. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • @skiddymarker

I have to use 750* gloves to pick it up, but my wife got it from a garage sale or something and it was only a couple dollars so I said i'd give it a try. It had wooden handles until I used it in the egg lol. Turkey fryer and some creativity. Next time the food will taste the same, I just won't have to improvise as much lol.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I use one of those burners for the wok.  Better temp control than the egg and faster.  I save my expensive lump for grilling/baking/smoking.

This is exactly my point.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    It gives another meaning to the term "Ghetto Blaster"
  • I saw "ghetto" in the thread title and thought you were visiting my neighborhood. I likey the control with gas. I'm really looking for a wok under the tree this year. Along with an AR & a Bug-A-Salt rifle.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Haha, I was waiting for you to chime in.

• mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    chive on brother!
  • mwraulst said:

chive on brother!

You know it!

• no FLBP with that setup!
    Conway, S.C.
  • @MeAndTheDog

Chive on brother!

Good point as well, that is the only reason I did.