Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it considered cheating?

I am sitting in front of the warm fireplace.......Thursday night football on the TV.......munching down a bowl of ice cream while my Stoker and the Egg are doing all the work getting my 18lbs of pork butts ready for lunch tomorrow.....is this BBQ cheating.........three things for a fail safe BBQ....BGE, Stoker and bone in pork butts

Comments

• Naw, Just smart q'ing.  Are y'all getting rain in the Bay Area....and you would please send us some.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Stopped raining today so I thought it would be a good time to do a Q for the office......did ribs this morning, pork butt will cook all night and I will do chicken and Louisiana Hot links tomorrow morning.......the menu is, meat, potato salad, coleslaw, fruit salad and misc cold drinks
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Go Peyton...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Sounds to me like you are hard at work, at least that's what I tell SWMBO......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Of course it is cheating. That is why you are having so much fun.
  • Its never cheating when you make good Q.
    Flint, Michigan
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    If your not cheating, your not trying!
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583

I use a Digi Q so don't get me wrong here ...

If you are really looking for bragging rights of PitMaster .. then yeah .. it's cheating.  The truth is most of us will never be able to commit enough time and enery to achieve that level of mastery and are probably not willing to make the mistakes that go along with it.  Don't forget .. these guys learned for years under someone else before they even got the opportunity to screw up. 

Among your peers?  I think any of us are just looking to turn out consistanly good food and have some fun along the way.

• Nope, not cheating in my book. 

I don't use any controllers on our two eggs but that is just a preference.  I don't have any problem with people using them. 

Now a crock pot and a bottle of liquid smoke filled bbq sauce?  THAT'S cheating ;):)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I won't use my guru for day cooks but overnight cooks sleep is good. The only overnight cook I have done without the guru since I got it was my first cook on my XL. Finished my table at 7pm and put the XL in it and about an hour layer I put the brisket on. I got drunk after that and slept through the night and woke up at sunlight to a 200 degree egg. Cracked the vent and went back to bed and woke up to a 300 degree egg. Temp control devices are amazing.
  • Heck yea it's cheating. I insist you being the honest guy you are that you box up the stoker ASAP and send it to me.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362

I guess that is why rule books are made out of paper, so you can bend them :)

I just lit my BGE with Stoker, oval stone, water pan, frontier lump with cherry wood chunks waiting for 250°. 2-10 lb shoulders trimmed with plowboys yard bird rub on them.

I'm at 135° so another 30 minutes, all should be stable at 250°.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Bigguy136.....you are so right, rub them, set the Stoker then put them in the Egg and kick back until they are done.......after 30 plus years of cooking on my other pits, it is real nice not to get up during the night to add wood and check on the temp....it did take me awhile to figure out how to get the flavor from the Egg that I got on my stick burners but now I am close....I still enjoy doing some of my shorter cooks (6 hours or less) on my other pits