Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for some new cookbooks to put on my x-mas list, what's your favorite?

Current favorites: Bobby Flay Mesa Grill, Dr BBQ Big Time.
Edina, MN

Comments

• Based on recommendation from VI and Jim in Florida, Breath of a Wok is on my wish list.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583

Mixon: Smokin' with Myron Mixon (modern bbq techniques)

Rhulman: Ratio (often overlooked - packed with good info)

Reed/McKinney: Holy Smoke (a history of Carolina bbq .. not a cookbook but inspirational .. will make you think about why you cook)

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I just got Texas Eats, by Robb Walsh.  It has a lot of anecdotal and historical info, the kind've cookbook you can sit down and read for pleasure.  The recipes have all been collected and judged, kind've "the best of the best" and is not strictly barbeque, but has a lot of tex-mex, chicken-fried steak, and pecan pie.  I'm really enjoying it.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited November 2012
    If you like Southwestern type foods, then I'd recommend The Homesick Texan Cookbook by Lisa Fain.  Lisa moved to NYC for her career and soon (as any Texan will tell you) started having withdrawals (D.T.s) from not having Texas food.  She even found it difficult to find certain ingredients.

I have not tried all of her recipes, but the ones I have tried are outstanding.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I just do not use a cookbook anymore with the two forums I get all I can ever cook (way-way more).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Charcuterie and Modernist Cuisine at Home

We use cooks illustrated for almost all recipes. Charcuterie and MC are loaded with techniques that will change your world. CI has the best recipes and a full description of WHY they work which is really cool to know.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Forgot, I get Cooks Illustrated and Cooks County at the house. Just no need for more cook books.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    Forgot, I get Cooks Illustrated and Cooks County at the house. Just no need for more cook books.
    we do the online subscription and love it. Pretty much their entire archive of every recipe they have ever done
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    I'm with Micky I must have 25 cook books 15 are BBQ.  I don't look at them that much any more I just come here.  This is the best, not to mention the laughs. ^:)^
  • Best money I ever spent was "The New Professional Chef" from the Culinary Institute of America.(CIA)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dr BBQs Slow Fire and also his Big Time BBQ. My old Weber's Big Book of Grilling has great recipes.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Dr BBQs Slow Fire and also his Big Time BBQ. My old Weber's Big Book of Grilling has great recipes.
    +1....got the Weber Big Book many years ago when I used to have a Weber gasser. The recipes are really good for all kinds of food and sauces and I use the recommended temps to cook on my LBGE.  

Opelika, Alabama
  • Pretty big fan of Tim Love's "Lonesome Dove Trail" cookbook....
  • Big Bob Gibson BBQ Book...some great recipes.
    LBGE Knoxville, TN
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I really enjoy all of Steven Raichlen's books. He gives a very wide variety of methods and recipes.

Tim
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    @Botch - have you read Legends of Texas BBQ by Robb Walsh? Great book.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    i just order BBQ 25 by adam perry lang, i wanted his other book "serious bbq" but i don't know about the $225 price tag for a book.  after all i've been eyeing a mini at my bge dealer for $285.  I think my next big book purchase will be the modernist cuisine at home because of this thread.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Rick Bayless just came out with a new cookbook called Frontera - Margaritas, Guacamole, and Snacks, this one has a story to go along with the recipes and is the first in a four part series. He has won multiple James Beard Awards as well as won the first Top Chef Masters and has been on PBS since the late 80s on various cooking shows. I have most of his cookbooks and all are great reads and fantastic recipes. If you like mexican food his books are for you. Here is a link to all of his Cookbooks. If your in Chicago checkout one of his three restaurants. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Peace, Love, and BBQ by Mike Mills
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    edited November 2012
    Best money I ever spent was "The New Professional Chef" from the Culinary Institute of America.(CIA)
    Do you have the ipad app or the cookbook steve, been thinking about downloading it for a while now.

Oh I guess the professional chef is only available for the iPad, same book different cover.
  • Stoater,

I have the book. It's probably ten years old now and it was a lot of money when I bought it. It has recipes but it shows every technique that there is and works as a reference for nearly anything you want to do. I don't know what the current price is or the cost of the download but I would highly reccommend it to anyone who loves to cook.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    We have The New Professional Chef - 2001 edition.  It is excellent.

Anyone can follow a recipe.  This book teaches you how to make the recipes.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lots of recommendations here.  No one cookbook is going to be the best book.  You have to decide what kind of food you want to cook.  

Any book that would have NE clam chowder probably would suck at Tex Mex enchiladas, and vise versa.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2012
    Au contraire mon ami. The NPC has both New England and Manhattan clam chowder and beef and chicken enchiladas. Unfortunately the recipes make 30 plus servings :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Au contraire mon ami. The NPC has both New England and Manhattan clam chowder and beef and chicken enchiladas. Unfortunately the recipes make 30 plus servings :D
    That'll work just fine for Doc.
    edited November 2012
    Mais, Jacques. There are enchiladas, and then there are ENCHILADAS.  You don't take a corn tortilla and roll up broccoli, couscous, and dijon mustard and call it an enchilada.  There are certain ingredients necessary, and many of them only grow in God's country.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• No man, this is more a guide to methods, herb and spice matching, sauces, understanding protiens and other products. There are sections that relate only to the restaurant/foodservice industry. It's basically a textbook for culinary school. I just like knowing how to do all that stuff.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited November 2012
    No man, this is more a guide to methods, herb and spice matching, sauces, understanding protiens and other products. There are sections that relate only to the restaurant/foodservice industry. It's basically a textbook for culinary school. I just like knowing how to do all that stuff.
    Do you think María Sanchez Rodriguez knows squat about proteins?  No.  She just makes the best g*ddamned enchiladas ever from learning from her mother, and her mother's mother, etc.

Dripping Springs, Texas.